Dpaul7

I found a group of leaf fossils, could not resist them.  I know they are from the Green River formation of Utah; Eocene age.  Are these Cuercus petros?  I've looked over a lot of specimens from that area; these SEEM to match.  (Except for the first photo.... not sure WHAT that one is!  Leaves.... but from what?)  I think I am developing a plant fossil obsession!

On another note - While I LOVE to hunt fossils, I DO buy specimens, so that I have an in-hand model to use for comparison and learning!!!! 

FOSSIL LEAF 0.jpg

FOSSIL LEAF 1.jpg

FOSSIL LEAF 2.jpg

FOSSIL LEAF 3.jpg

FOSSIL LEAF 4.jpg

Sorry I can't help with the id, but just wanted to say those are nice specimens.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Nice finds,7!

Btw,Wilf lists Q.alba,coccinea,prunus,rubra,velutina for GR oaks.

What's the source of your info on "petros"?

Or did you NOT used it here as a species name?

7 hours ago, doushantuo said:

Nice finds,7!

Btw,Wilf lists Q.alba,coccinea,prunus,rubra,velutina for GR oaks.

What's the source of your info on "petros"?

Or did you NOT used it here as a species name?

I did use it for a species name!  I tried to compare it to all of the leaf specimens from this area that I could find.... petros seemed a match, but I am not sure!  So, I posted, hoping someone would have an idea!

There's a guy in the Cyprus (the Mediterranean island, that is) Forestry Service called Petros, who has written a piece on Quercus alnifolia.:P

edit:'kay,goddit.

The name might be Quercus petraea

Quercus petros was described and illustrated in H. D. MacGinitie. 1969. The Eocene Green River flora of northwestern Colorado and northeastern Utah.

5a92c5d806b6a_Quercuspetros.jpg.afe427873a5553943bb1db541f37a3f9.jpg

4.jpg.9d011e1610726485a9df64fb1bc3ee27.jpg5.jpg.ec19c63fe6dc7e5a6fe001bbf2a67935.jpg

4,5.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

14 hours ago, Dpaul7 said:

(Except for the first photo.... not sure WHAT that one is!  Leaves.... but from what?) 

The first one looks close to Lomatia lineatulus.

5a92061bddc7a_FOSSILLEAF0.jpg.feece7becb61a1b625d35e4830dd1bb0.thumb.jpg.aca6378e4078af3e616cc75ba94c879a.jpg1Mc.jpg.cdf93b66737ebc1c1d75dff0976951a1.jpg

5a92cef721ad9_Lomatialineatus.jpg.8c887580277b8318edbcf80b19f39d50.jpg5a92cee286db4_Fig.1text.jpg.9d75ad04cb4233d083506de54d8e2281.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you, everyone!  Great information.  I think these leaf specimens (except the first one) are Quercus... do you think Petros ???  I am leaning in that direction!

Maybe Quercus (?Q. petrosus), but I'm not an expert in the Eocene Green River flora. :)

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived