Lab Upgrade

Ptychodus04

The prep lab got a bit more crowded today. I got sick of fighting abrasive and dust migration so I went and got a blast cabinet from Harbor Freight. Ran the air lines to it and hooked up my dust extraction. 

It it needs a light as my lens light causes a horrid reflection on the glass. I also need to fabricate a shelf to rest fossils on as it is a bit taller than I desire. But, I like to tinker. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

2B5E3F57-6616-44CD-927B-6148CBF81262.thumb.jpeg.f2409f904bb6f299c2a2068189c68cca.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

6 hours ago, jpc said:

Put some cheap lights nit.  If they get screwed up by the powder... well, they were only cheapies.  

Good advice. No point wrecking something expensive.

Nice setup! I've looked at similar models, but holding out for a flat top so I can use the scope. In terms of something to raise the fossil in the chamber, some old books you might not care about could work in a pinch. Old atlases or encyclopedia sets with good, firm cover stock. The good thing is you can adjust the height by adding or taking away books. :P 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Always nice to upgrade.  Thinkin of doing that myself even.  May install an air drier?  I myself have a lower'shallower dust cabinet and i still use wood blocks of different sizes to hold whatever im working on at the right hight.  Ive also got some nice lighting on the inside and a magnifier that sits on the glass. 

RB

RB

DSCN0106.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, Kane said:

Nice setup! I've looked at similar models, but holding out for a flat top so I can use the scope. In terms of something to raise the fossil in the chamber, some old books you might not care about could work in a pinch. Old atlases or encyclopedia sets with good, firm cover stock. The good thing is you can adjust the height by adding or taking away books. :P 

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Always nice to upgrade.  Thinkin of doing that myself even.  May install an air drier?  I myself have a lower'shallower dust cabinet and i still use wood blocks of different sizes to hold whatever im working on at the right hight.  Ive also got some nice lighting on the inside and a magnifier that sits on the glass. 

RB

RB

DSCN0106.JPG

Kane, great thought on the old books. That’s much better than the overly engineered contraption that I would wind up devising.

Ron, what magnifier do you use? 

I’m also contemplating fabricating a boom arm that will hold my scope at the correct angle. I have an old stereo microscope that is a straight through design so it would be in an more ergonomic position on the angled glass. The only thing you run into then is holding your specimen at the right angle inside the case. I’m thinking a simple wood block cut to the correct angle.

Well, if you still want to rig up something, and perhaps be all steampunk about it with flamdoodles and gear wheels, that would be pretty awesome! :D And you'll need a cool sheath bolted to the side of the blast box for one of your awesome knives because, well, just in case! :P 

The boom arm would be a good idea. My scope came with a boom and adjustable riser, and as long as the base is heavy enough to keep the thing upright at its maximum extension, you should be good for any occasion. The angle will be trickier given the pane is on an angle. I suppose the wood block could be cut at the same angle as the glass? Depends on how close you might be working, too... For going above 10-15x, it may not matter in terms of your FOV. Lower magnification would definitely prosper with an angled block to prevent half the specimen looking fuzzy. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

7 hours ago, Kane said:

I hear 1st editions always work the best.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Ron, what magnifier do you use? 

I will have to take a picture of it.  Cant find it at the moment.  Later.

RB

5 hours ago, Kane said:

Well, if you still want to rig up something, and perhaps be all steampunk about it with flamdoodles and gear wheels, that would be pretty awesome! :D And you'll need a cool sheath bolted to the side of the blast box for one of your awesome knives because, well, just in case! :P 

The boom arm would be a good idea. My scope came with a boom and adjustable riser, and as long as the base is heavy enough to keep the thing upright at its maximum extension, you should be good for any occasion. The angle will be trickier given the pane is on an angle. I suppose the wood block could be cut at the same angle as the glass? Depends on how close you might be working, too... For going above 10-15x, it may not matter in terms of your FOV. Lower magnification would definitely prosper with an angled block to prevent half the specimen looking fuzzy. 

I wasn't thinking steam punk as much as industrial. :D That’s one benefit of having a welder and a forge. I’m thinking, weld a steel pipe flange onto my old microscope base. Then, I can use threaded pipe to adjust the angles.

If I match the angle of the glass with the angle of the specimen support, all should be “ok”. I rarely do any powered prep at magnifications greater than 10x anyway.

Hand work and sorting micro teeth can go higher but that won’t be in the box.

Now Kris, if you are going to call it a "lab" you have to wear a white smock while working in it.

I think it's the law or something.

Of course in your case, a white kilt.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

Now Kris, if you are going to call it a "lab" you have to wear a white smock while working in it.

:hearty-laugh: Nice addition to the lab. :dinothumb:

20 hours ago, caldigger said:

I actually do wear a white lab coat while I'm prepping in my "lab" so the joke's on you my friend. :D

I don't like getting really abrasive dust all over my nice kilt, so I have worn one for several years. Now that I'm going to be prepping in the cabinet more, I'll have to start calling it my prep lounge since I won't need to wear the lab coat all the time.