Any Obscure Miocene sites?

Miocene_Mason

I think I can go hunting tomorrow (I’ll check) but I’m itching to go somewhere new. Though I like the usual sites (Matoaka, Brownies, etc) I want to check out somewhere different. Anybody know any different sites in the area worth a visit? I’ve heard that flag ponds is not really worth it, and Calvert cliffs park is certainly not. I know this is short notice, thanks for any and all replies! Do feel free to PM me.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, jpc said:

I know a really cool Miocene bird-rich site.  It is across the pond from where you are this evening.  : )  

Oooh, so somewhere closer to me then :muahaha:

What is the location (if you don't mind me asking)?

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

5 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

I would be interested as well. If it is really in Europe.

9 hours ago, jpc said:

I know a really cool Miocene bird-rich site.  It is across the pond from where you are this evening.  : )  

I guess I should get my bathing suit on!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

You know, I've thought about posting the exact same question on this forum! As far as I know, most other Miocene sites (that you didn't name) are off limits. I've heard of "Scientist's Cliffs" being a relatively productive site along the Calvert Cliffs, but I believe you need some sort of special permit or something to collect there. Strange, because I watched a YouTube video of two teenage kids hunting there...may be something to look into. Apparently, the best place for megs along the Cliffs is Plum Point, but it requires a boat to access it.

Now, if you're willing to go so far, there are Miocene exposures here in the Old Dominion (VA). I'm sure you've heard of both the major sites, Westmoreland SP and Stratford Hall. They are actually quite good spots during the winter, but again that is probably a LONG drive for you.

I think you may be best off hunting at the regular locations for now, and maybe when it gets warmer you could try to gain access to the remotes beaches of the Calvert Cliffs, by boat or by kayak. That's something I'm seriously considering because I've heard of people kayaking to remote beaches and finding amazing stuff. It also allows you to avoid the crazy crowds at the popular spots. My parents have told me I shouldn't kayak on the Bay alone, which is obviously good advice, but maybe over the summer we could meet up and kayak side by side looking for a meg site! Just a thought. Hoppe hunting!

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

@HoppeFossilHunting scientists cliff I’ve heard is not very friendly with our kind (fossil hunters, I don’t blame them, for a few ignorant ones lack neuron passages if you know what I mean). Plum point has an almost Mythical reputation from all That I know have visited. I need to get a kayak, I have a canoe but no boat trailer. 

Kayaking alone is a bad idea, whatwith currents and all that. But I’m up for some site hunting over the summer, bet I could pick the brains of some fossil hunters for tips as to which zones are the best. I’ll have to get on the rower more often, don’t want to lag behind on the kayak!

Oh yeah and westmoreland is two and a half hours away, quite a ways.

• I found this Informative 2

Happy hunting,

Mason

10 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

@HoppeFossilHunting scientists cliff I’ve heard is not very friendly with our kind (fossil hunters, I don’t blame them, for a few ignorant ones lack neuron passages if you know what I mean). Plum point has an almost Mythical reputation from all That I know have visited. I need to get a kayak, I have a canoe but no boat trailer. 

Kayaking alone is a bad idea, whatwith currents and all that. But I’m up for some site hunting over the summer, bet I could pick the brains of some fossil hunters for tips as to which zones are the best. I’ll have to get on the rower more often, don’t want to lag behind on the kayak!

Oh yeah and westmoreland is two and a half hours away, quite a ways.

I've heard that the Choptank River exposes some Miocene sediment in places. There's also a park in Calvert or PG county where the creeks are incised down into the Calvert Formation. I forget the name of it though, I think it's rose something. 

Rosaryville Park is the name I think. Maybe nearby Piscataway Park also has some stuff. I don't know about collecting, but I'm sure photos would be good. 

On 2/25/2018 at 2:44 AM, Max-fossils said:

I was taken to the site by a local, so it is not mine to divulge.  Sorry to be such a tease.  

• I found this Informative 3

22 minutes ago, jpc said:

I was taken to the site by a local, so it is not mine to divulge.  Sorry to be such a tease.  

This is proper etiquette in practice.  

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

On 2/26/2018 at 5:52 PM, jpc said:

No problem, I get it :)

I know that many fossil hunters are as secretive about their hunting spot as mushroom collectors! 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils