Florida Gastropods Fossils

Gregory Kruse

Hello,

I found these gastropods at Judd Park in Ft. Myers, FL.  They were in sediments holding down a silt fence and probably brought in from somewhere close by.  I have consulted the Peterson book, Southern Florida's Fossil Seashells.  It is a great book and the only relevant fossil that I see is Strombus alatus. Can someone help me identify these fossils?  Thank you! 

gastropod Dec 2017.jpg

Lovely shells! :wub:

A picture from the inside would be very helpful. So far though, I think that Strombus floridanus is the best possibility. But Mike will probably be able to give a more definite ID. 

By the way, if you plan on finding more seashells here, a very helpful resource for ID would be this: http://neogeneatlas.net/

Oh, also, something that would be really fun to do is to prep these shells, and to keep the matrix that is coming out. That matrix is FULL of little treasures!!! I am having so much fun right now looking through the micro-matrix under a small microscope, and I am finding lots of cool tiny fossils. Just my little tip for extra fossil-fun for on a rainy day. ;)

Best regards,

Max

• I found this Informative 2

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Strombus floridanus is correct.

• I found this Informative 1

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Thank you!   Is anyone familiar with Bernie Peterson's guide to Southern Florida's Fossil Seashells?  On page 43 shows Strombus alatus.  These look similar to them but I will go with everyone's recommendation.  Thank you for all of the links.  Also, I presume that these came from the Caloosahatchee formation because they were from the Cape Coral area.