Bone Identification

Elekay007

I found these bones in Wilbur Oregon , while blackberry picking .   i found bones sticking out of the ground. two bone sites about ten ft apart , they look like bison but i am really confused about the skull. can anyone identify these ? i would like to sell them. i have many bones from the site.

bones9.jpg

bones8.jpg

Welcome to :tff:

Whoa that's impressive! Nice find!!!

As @Foozil said, pictures of the teeth will be the best help. But from what I see, I am nearly certain that you found the remains of a bovid (very likely cow, but bison is also a possibility). 

The middle bone here looks very similar to a piece of cow bone I recently found. Comapre:

bones11.thumb.jpg.a86cac7439c0f6bc28bec183c6fc643c.jpg.59e6a4b722ca9c933930c85f55c49c07.jpgIMG_5398.thumb.JPG.645225c563cabccac04dcc2d0004b75f.JPGIMG_5396.thumb.JPG.3e63c9f767fdd1b0f3ae415d93b3741e.JPG

Something I would suggest you do is the flame test: basically you take a flame and try to burn the bone. If the bone starts smelling, then the bone is modern and not fossil. If it doesn't small at all, then you probably found the fossil remains of a big bison like the long-horned bison (Bison latifrons)!

I would be very jealous then, as would many other members on this forum. :envy:

@Harry Pristis knows a lot about mammal bones, so he will probably be able to give you a definite ID on the bones you found here. 

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

13 minutes ago, Elekay007 said:

Thanks Max :fingerscrossed:

;)

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

@Elekay007 thanks for the pictures. Although they are blurry, I think that they do help a bit.

I think they are cow... But let's wait till Harry Pristis chimes in, shall we? :)

Oh btw, do the flame test I told you about too, and let us know the result. That will be quite helpful in determining what this could be. 

Max Derème

5 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

@Elekay007 thanks for the pictures. Although they are blurry, I think that they do help a bit.

I think they are cow... But let's wait till Harry Pristis chimes in, shall we? :)

Oh btw, do the flame test I told you about too, and let us know the result. That will be quite helpful in determining what this could be. 

i goofed quoated above

3 minutes ago, Elekay007 said:

Hi Max yes did the flame test no smell and didnt try to catch fire just black soot that wiped off.

That it didn't smell would be an indication of fossil.

But I just tried to burn one of my fossil bones (that I am sure is fossil), and no soot came off at all. So I think the soot might prove differently, indicating that your bones might be modern after all. Unless the minerals inside of it are different, making a different chemical reaction with the flame. Not sure.

Max Derème

2 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

That it didn't smell would be an indication of fossil.

But I just tried to burn one of my fossil bones (that I am sure is fossil), and no soot came off at all. So I think the soot might prove differently, indicating that your bones might be modern after all. Unless the minerals inside of it are different, making a different chemical reaction with the flame. Not sure.

i have more better teeth pics uploading soon, i found these in a swampy area grassland

Just now, Elekay007 said:

i have more better teeth pics uploading soon, i found these in a swampy area grassland

Okay

Max Derème

The skull cap was certainly bovid, I want to say cow, probably more recent possibly not a fossil. I could be wrong, another scenario could be that these are bison bones, still I don't suspect these are truly fossils. Did you dig these up? 

rydysig.JPG

2 hours ago, RyanDye said:

The skull cap was certainly bovid, I want to say cow, probably more recent possibly not a fossil. I could be wrong, another scenario could be that these are bison bones, still I don't suspect these are truly fossils. Did you dig these up? 

I did dig these up the hip bones were partially above ground ,  dug the bones from about a foot deep in a area that is swamp in the winter ,  many deer and wild turkeys in that area, it is a isolated area no one travels on.

32 minutes ago, Elekay007 said:

I did dig these up the hip bones were partially above ground ,  dug the bones from about a foot deep in a area that is swamp in the winter ,  many deer and wild turkeys in that area, it is a isolated area no one travels on.

Your bones are most likely modern cow bones. The environment You found them in can stain bone very quickly.

There have been large cattle ranches in the area for a long time.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Archived