Tamiami? pelecypod---maybe a Chama sp?

Plantguy

Was looking at some stuff in the garage today and in the Spondylus sp. pile I had this chubby little guy. Seems to be a loner as I dont have anything else quite shaped like it...I was thinking it might be actually in Chama family  but the others I have appear to be more round and this guy seems to be elongated. I cant find anything similar to it in some of the online references I looked at. Has anyone run across something similar and if its a Chama sp. know what the species is?  

It's got a couple of the typical clam borings and worm tubes and maybe a little Plicatula sp. attached to it as well to make it extra special. 

Sarasota Cnty, Florida. Plio-Pleistocene, APAC spoils, Tamiami Formation? 

5a9375d6b4ace_chamaunknown.thumb.jpg.43f963787868bef6c75115c6b3c1642f.jpg

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks, Chris  

possibly an operculum?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Hi Chris

What you have is the right valve of Chama willcoxii Dall, 1903.  The left valve is deeper and attached to a hard substrate and the left sits on top as shown in the pictures below.  This specimen is from the Upper Pliocene Pinecrest Sand Member of the Tamiami Formation at SMR but was originally described by Dall from the Lower Pleistocene Caloosahatchee (Marl) Formation.

Mike

5a94349021270_IMG_4823reduced.jpg.fb9575bd785ae1cd5ad81360f8656553.jpg 5a943495632d4_IMG_4825reduced.thumb.jpg.5345a46f234f2d617554945871d9fd8d.jpg

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

23 hours ago, Herb said:

possibly an operculum?

Thanks Herb...I noticed that relative shape/flatness to it as well and could see your suggestion. I had this other collection of similar forms and could see the pairs of muscle scars and should have posted a pic of it to show more of the why as to my scratching my head...Since Mike has set me straight I guess the left valves are on the top row and the right valves on the bottom row.  My unknown is the 2nd specimen in the bottom row. 

5a94c6a70a33f_chamagroup2.thumb.jpg.d2fb48b129d6de68f11c2226f64cb8e4.jpg5a94c6a825d3d_Chamagroup.thumb.jpg.d66d15cdba7db6a617e03ff0dad59f01.jpg

Thanks for the look and suggestion.  Do appreciate it. 

Regards, Chris 

10 hours ago, MikeR said:

Hi Chris

What you have is the right valve of Chama willcoxii Dall, 1903.  The left valve is deeper and attached to a hard substrate and the left sits on top as shown in the pictures below.  This specimen is from the Upper Pliocene Pinecrest Sand Member of the Tamiami Formation at SMR but was originally described by Dall from the Lower Pleistocene Caloosahatchee (Marl) Formation.

Mike

5a94349021270_IMG_4823reduced.jpg.fb9575bd785ae1cd5ad81360f8656553.jpg 5a943495632d4_IMG_4825reduced.thumb.jpg.5345a46f234f2d617554945871d9fd8d.jpg

Hey Mike that's a beauty you have! Most appreciative of the ID and help with those photos.  Well I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for finding a set of matched valves---maybe there out there with that elusive Ecphora scrap I hope to see and bring home one day. 

Thanks for the expertise!

Regards, Chris 

On 2/26/2018 at 9:51 PM, Plantguy said:

Thanks Herb...I noticed that relative shape/flatness to it as well and could see your suggestion. I had this other collection of similar forms and could see the pairs of muscle scars and should have posted a pic of it to show more of the why as to my scratching my head...Since Mike has set me straight I guess the left valves are on the top row and the right valves on the bottom row.  My unknown is the 2nd specimen in the bottom row. 

5a94c6a70a33f_chamagroup2.thumb.jpg.d2fb48b129d6de68f11c2226f64cb8e4.jpg5a94c6a825d3d_Chamagroup.thumb.jpg.d66d15cdba7db6a617e03ff0dad59f01.jpg

Regards, Chris 

On 2/26/2018 at 9:51 PM, Plantguy said:

Regards, Chris 

those are some rugged looking clams. Do you ever sift some of the sediment? You might find a pearl. I found one in some Eocene material.

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

1 hour ago, Herb said:

those are some rugged looking clams. Do you ever sift some of the sediment? You might find a pearl. I found one in some Eocene material.

Thanks, Tony

On 2/27/2018 at 11:11 PM, Herb said:

Hey Herb, Good question! I've thought about looking a couple times but havent done much with the potential. I wonder if Mike has any insight as to what species might be more likely to have produced them. I really should spend some time but the larger macro stuff that I get sidetracked too easily on (really looking for an Ecphora) and then there is the looking at birds and plants and insects and something as dumb as discolorations caused by burial in a pond and the slime and algae and leeches and flat worms.....Did I say I get distracted....:)

Regards, Chris 

Archived