AlaskaNick

I wasn't sure where to post this thread, but I have a few fossils that I'd like to either buy or build stands for. I have seen lots of display stands (looks like a wire frame and a metal base) for carch teeth, and mosasaur teeth- that's what I'm looking for but I cant seem to find any for sale on the internet! Not interested in the little plastic megalodon stands, I'm looking specifically for a small wire frame stand where the tooth is held in place by its natural taper. Looking specifically for spinosaurus, carch, and mosasaur tooth stands. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

N

Are you handy with a saw?  Several posts on this forum show what people have made on their own.  Here are a couple of examples:

• I found this Informative 3

Personally I'm a big fan of using a small clear acrylic glass round base to place teeth on. It just serves as a transparent foot, nice and subtle. And I use blu tack to attach the tooth to the acrylic base. Though I'm not sure where you'd find them for sale over where you are.

teethstands.jpg.2e0b9c6b24c030cf8c36b3bbea91905e.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I think the best protection for teeth is a riker box or floating frame like one shown below.  I've never seen wire frame stands made for teeth they are usually wood or plastic.   Here is a company that makes armature holders and you customize it to your tooth, not cheap however and do not recommend this method.

http://www.artdisplay.com/t-arm.html

Come in a variety of sizes and inexpensive 

-17.jpg.f928eedaf0680494b78de3de9f1dffd4.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

I am interested in the floating frame. I could not find it in the provided link-maybe just me or? troodon can you clarify? Thanks

50 minutes ago, fossilnut said:

I am interested in the floating frame. I could not find it in the provided link-maybe just me or? troodon can you clarify? Thanks

Good cost effective place to buy them is direct from China which is the way I have done several times.  There are lots of offerings on eBay look under. 

"Plastic Clear Jewelry Suspended Coins Floating Display Case Stand Holder"

Delivery always much faster than advertised 

Do you have access to an oxy-acetylene torch? I made some stands for some ammonites this weekend. Angle iron and steel rod from Home Depot. I simply brazed them together, bent with pliers, and painted black.

The options are only limited by your imagination (and maybe your welding skills).

428A6F40-F1B8-4BEB-8A15-89ED439DD264.thumb.jpeg.49d5764de42160209a9292058686d753.jpeg

D2B3AA1E-B5C1-4C27-AD44-3380FF3DFB69.thumb.jpeg.b68ecd059f9184deea03901a207c5fd3.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Thanks. The best part is it took about 10 minutes to make it.

Woe is me!  I'm trying to save up enough money to buy an air abrasive system and now I have to add a welding system to the list, too.  

But it I have to admit that stand looks really nice.  Something like that would work well for the Priscacara slab I am prepping.

1 hour ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Woe is me!  I'm trying to save up enough money to buy an air abrasive system and now I have to add a welding system to the list, too.  

But it I have to admit that stand looks really nice.  Something like that would work well for the Priscacara slab I am prepping.

That's just the beginning. Depending on the scale of mount, I have a large arc welder, a wire feed welder, oxy-acetylene torch, and a propane forge. All of which I have employed in mount fabrication.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That's just the beginning. Depending on the scale of mount, I have a large arc welder, a wire feed welder, oxy-acetylene torch, and a propane forge. All of which I have employed in mount fabrication.

Might have a go myself. I have a MIG. 

You guys are great, thanks for all the tips and advice. I don't think I'll be doing my own welding anytime soon, but you guys have given me a lot of good ideas- thank you!

• 11 months later...
On 27/02/2018 at 3:31 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

Do you have access to an oxy-acetylene torch? I made some stands for some ammonites this weekend. Angle iron and steel rod from Home Depot. I simply brazed them together, bent with pliers, and painted black.

The options are only limited by your imagination (and maybe your welding skills).

428A6F40-F1B8-4BEB-8A15-89ED439DD264.thumb.jpeg.49d5764de42160209a9292058686d753.jpeg

D2B3AA1E-B5C1-4C27-AD44-3380FF3DFB69.thumb.jpeg.b68ecd059f9184deea03901a207c5fd3.jpeg

I am very late to this thread but this stand is really beautiful in it simplistic design and your ammonite looks stunning. I have been think about doing a post “show us your handmade stands.” Because there are so many members coming up with great display ideas and I think to have a verity of ideas in one thread would be useful for members. 

Had not see this post,  its very cool stand @Ptychodus04.  I like the stand because the fossil is the what the eye focuses on and not the stand.   Its the centerpiece.  There is also a flat area where an ID label can be placed.  :dinothumb:

32 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

There is also a flat area where an ID label can be placed.  

Ding, ding, ding, bonus points!!!

Stand looks great Kris.

Dorensigbadges.JPG