Petrified Wood Stump

ethnfreeman

Funny thing is there is not supposed to be alot of Petrified Wood supposed to be mostly coal I have found pick up truck loads of it in this area.  The people in that neighborhood dont have a clue that its a fossil i thnk they just left it there cause they couldnt move it gotta weigh tons

20160110_111430.jpg

Edited by ethnfreeman@gmail.com
ad picture
  • I found this Informative 1

Im just wondering if it still has all the roots with it too im thinking it does but that concrete would cover most it im thinking how else though would it still be standing like that i wonder if the rest of it is laying around there somewhere kinda spooky thing is that it looks cut lol, dont look like a flood killed it or a lahar or something its clean and level on the top the hardness of it is amazing a stick a dynamite wouldnt touch it. I dont care what anybody says thats baddest petrified tree ive ever layed my eyes on and ive seen alot. That thing is bigger than my car tell me that wouldnt just throw a hand grenade in theory of evolution unless they had axes and chainsaws during the carboniferous. 

Edited by ethnfreeman@gmail.com
added comments

1 hour ago, ethnfreeman@gmail.com said:

Im just wondering if it still has all the roots with it too im thinking it does but that concrete would cover most it im thinking how else though would it still be standing like that i wonder if the rest of it is laying around there somewhere kinda spooky thing is that it looks cut lol, dont look like a flood killed it or a lahar or something its clean and level on the top the hardness of it is amazing a stick a dynamite wouldnt touch it. I dont care what anybody says thats baddest petrified tree ive ever layed my eyes on and ive seen alot. That thing is bigger than my car tell me that wouldnt just throw a hand grenade in theory of evolution unless they had axes and chainsaws during the carboniferous. 

I'm having a little bit of difficulty following your post. From what I gather, you are asking how this piece can be standing. Is this correct? I'm not clear how this large piece challenges the theory of evolution. There may be a number of explanations of why this piece appears the way it does, which could be that the base was cut in this fashion at some point after it was found. The girth and weight of it would suggest that, at least in terms of physics, it would not fall over (or even be pushed over) all that easily. To get the piece like this in an upright position might be as simple as using some chains and a good truck.

• I found this Informative 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Not to mention, that fossilized trees are frequently found in standing position. 

The Gilboa Fossil Forest in Gilboa New York  was found during excavations for a reservoir, with many large trees found upright. 

They are also found in Nova Scotia, at the Joggins Cliffs, Yellowstone Park, Florissant Fossil Beds, Arizona Petrified Forest, and some places in England, and around the world.

Images of Fossil Trees

From Wikipedia:

"Coal is a fossil fuel that forms when dead plant matter is converted into peat, which in turn is converted into lignite, then sub-bituminous coal, after that bituminous coal, and lastly anthracite. This involves biological and geological processes. The geological processes take place over millions of years.[2]"

So no, this wouldn't throw a hand grenade into the theory of evolution. It's not an uncommon occurrence.  ;) 

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Many petrified tree stumps also break/cleave evenly looking as if they were cut like the famous Petrified Forest of Arizona.

20180226_051750.png

I'd hate to be the one stacking cords of this!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I've no doubt that it has been placed there as landscaping; brought in from elsewhere.
The 'top' topography is typical of how petrified wood logs break.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!