Anatomically accurate fossils in the shape of letters in the Google Logo

MeargleSchmeargl

Being a highschool student, I am eligible for the Doodle 4 Google contest (https://doodles.google.com/d4g/). I already know good and well what'll inspire me (pretty self-explanatory by my being on this form), and I want to find anatomically accturate fossils that resemble the Google logo letters. I need the following:

G: Uppercase G

x2 O: 2 unique specimens that resemble Os (can just be circular)

g: Lowercase G

l: Lowercase L

e: Lowercase E

I will consider any recommendations for any letters. If I get somewhere in this contest, I will make sure to provide updates! 

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

This sounds like a lot of fun!  I'm sure you already have lots of good ideas. I'm thinking that a heteromorph ammonite might make a nice G shape (upper and lower case). Maybe even a lower case e?  Enjoy your project!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

G - ammonite.

OO - agnostid trilobite

g -Heteromorph ammonite

L - lepidodendron trunk, calamites

e - cystoid or crinoid, fossil fish curled up?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Looks like great minds think alike, Mike. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

My first thought was an Ammonite for the captial G as well. Though to give an alternative idea, how about the tooth whorls of weird Helicoprion.

The O's probably lend themselves the best for creative infill. How about a thin cross section of a dinosaur bone that shows it's hollowness and growth rings. Perhaps a sclerotic eye ring?

I don't have any ideas for the other letters at the moment I'm afraid. But this sounds like a fun project and I wish you luck!

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I'll third the heteromorph ammonite for the lowercase 'g'. :D

How about an edrioasteroid for an 'o' or 'e'? A belemnite for the 'l'?

And don't forget coprolites. They can come in all sorts of shapes!

An enrolled trilobite might work for the lower case "e", if it's positioned just right. Lots of good ideas here already. Now you've got me thinking of next year's Christmas card already!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Great job @Foozil!

I can see it now....

32F849A6-3609-4159-9B68-A18DA8474210.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

21 hours ago, Foozil said:

Like this?

Good luck in the contest!

Ok, now, @MeargleSchmeargl, you have to figure out something else.  It needs to be your creation, not someone else’s. :mellow:

1 minute ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Ok, now, @MeargleSchmeargl, you have to figure out something else.  It needs to be your creation, not someone else’s. :mellow:

My one was only a rough idea, the cropping and everything is terrible, was just to give Meargle Schmeargl some ideas :) 

Just now, Foozil said:

My one was only a rough idea, the cropping and everything is terrible, was just to give Meargle Schmeargl some ideas :) 

And I meant to say I was impressed with what you came up with.  Very creative!

Just now, Sagebrush Steve said:

And I meant to say I was impressed with what you came up with.  Very creative!

Oh ok, thank you :)

6 hours ago, aplomado said:

Foozil nailed it!  Except, maybe a femur for the lowercase "l" !

I second this idea.

Nice work guys.

Maybe 2 different fossils for the "Os"?  Cross section of a horn coral for one? (Sorry, I have an affinity for horn corals).  Crinoid columnal for the other? (Although I do like fossildude's Agnostid idea :) ).  Tully monster for the "L"?

@Foozil 's is awesome BTW 

Would be a great submission for National Fossil Day which is in October, I believe.

21 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Great job @Foozil!

I can see it now....

Similar, and I was going to add some background (as though the guys just dug it up).

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

9 hours ago, aplomado said:

Foozil nailed it!  Except, maybe a femur for the lowercase "l" !

Femur was my first thought for "l". Easily recognizable.

I have now come to a decision On what to use as my letter templates! Some of which I used from suggestions (because with some I honestly couldn't think of a better idea), and others I came up with something else entirely:

Capital G: This lovely Ammonite

images.jpeg.0de037cebf1b3734d5ec1b7d6a72e407.jpeg

x2 O: A flower and echinoid

slide-show-fossil-rose.jpg.d88a86aa41e69cf4a443d4fd55eac805.jpg

2332183776_620e09b8d0.jpg.74a78dee3e6d16ee6a909ab0cce128ea.jpg

Lowercase g: Heteromorph Ammonite (Because I can't think of anything else that fits the role)

5a95900d51510_47626-61(1).thumb.jpg.44400f120ecaba39cbeb92b2c21dc449.jpg

Lowercase L: Mosasaur bottom jaw

m-2593.jpg.a03b469996ed62ad04fdc1e833bacd18.jpg

Lowercase E: Enrolled Eldregeops (from a textbook that labeled as Rana before it was switched from Phacops)

5a95916745238_images(1).jpeg.88707ac99f6d4e66e32d53109f7a4a98.jpeg

With this, I put together a rough template for the piece on Adobe Illustrator. Unfortunately, can't put it on here ATM due to file size and the fact that I can't view it on my phone. :ank:

1 hour ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

I have now come to a decision On what to use as my letter templates! Some of which I used from suggestions (because with some I honestly couldn't think of a better idea), and others I came up with something else entirely:

With this, I put together a rough template for the piece on Adobe Illustrator. Unfortunately, can't put it on here ATM due to file size and the fact that I can't view it on my phone. :ank:

Excellent! 

And there have been lots of great suggestions from people.

What a helpful and imaginative lot TFF members are. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, ynot said:

I would flip this one so the ventral opening is on top.

So upside down?

Archived