SailingAlongToo

Another Nice Day on the River

Al Dente

Nice little meg.

ynot

:meg::wub::envy::drool::drool:

Fossildude19

And the beaches continue to offer up the goodies!

Nice report, thanks for sharing with us. :) 

MikeR

Hi Jack

Obviously you are in the Calvert.  The shells are all Ecphora tricostata Martin, 1904.  Buck calls the species highly variable as intergrades exist from one extreme form to the other within the Calvert at any one locality.  In all Buck listed 4 species of Ecphora and an additional 4 subspecies in the Chesapeake Miocene.  Ed Petuch has an alternate approach in that he recognizes very little variation and has described up to 40 different species within the region.  I hold Dr. Ward's work in high regard and adhere to his point of view.

Mike

Darktooth

Great finds! Glad you had a good time!

HoppeHunting

Great finds! Love the big Makos and complete Ecphora. Were these found along the Calvert Cliffs?

SailingAlongToo
8 minutes ago, HoppeFossilHunting said:

Great finds! Love the big Makos and complete Ecphora. Were these found along the Calvert Cliffs?

No, VA.

SailingAlongToo
1 hour ago, MikeR said:

Hi Jack

Obviously you are in the Calvert.  The shells are all Ecphora tricostata Martin, 1904.  Buck calls the species highly variable as intergrades exist from one extreme form to the other within the Calvert at any one locality.  In all Buck listed 4 species of Ecphora and an additional 4 subspecies in the Chesapeake Miocene.  Ed Petuch has an alternate approach in that he recognizes very little variation and has described up to 40 different species within the region.  I hold Dr. Ward's work in high regard and adhere to his point of view.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm sure you know Mrs.SA2's and my affinity for Dr. Ward. We will be seeing him this coming weekend.

WhodamanHD

Very nice finds! Love especially the Ecphorae and the tiny patho meg!

Ludwigia

That sure is a productive river.

Nimravis

Wow- some really nice finds- Congrats.

Fossil-Hound

@SailingAlongToo wow you guys did really well. Gorgeous gastropods! I still need to send you that package. Been super busy but I’ll get around to it. Need to label everything.

jcbshark

Excellent finds..... love that little Meg:envy:

beachbum

Great finds! I like the variety of what you came up with.

sixgill pete

Jack, that is a very nice little meg. That's got to be worth at least 3 in the count to catch up with Mrs. SA2. :D As as the ecphora, yea I hear you on them. Always a pleasure to find, but like a lays potato chip, no one can take just one!!!!

SailingAlongToo
14 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

Jack, that is a very nice little meg. That's got to be worth at least 3 in the count to catch up with Mrs. SA2.

I said the same thing to her. She just held up one hand with 5 fingers extended and the other with 2 fingers extended, and then laughed at me.

What was even more exciting was fossil collecting in our garage on Sunday. I went to wash the Miata so she could drive around with the top down in the 70F weather, and I found 4 ziplock bags with teeth and other assorted fossil goodies in my car wash bucket along with the sponge, soap and brush. Apparently, at some point last year, I cleaned the truck out after coming home from a fossil trip and must have just put the collecting baggies in the bucket for safe keeping, and completely forgot about them. One of the bags even had a nice smallish meg in it. Go figure.......  How do you find a meg and forget about it for 4-5 months only to find it again later. 

WhodamanHD
On 3/1/2018 at 10:24 AM, SailingAlongToo said:

Go figure.......  How do you find a meg and forget about it for 4-5 months only to find it again later. 

Perhaps, at some point last year you cleaned out the truck after coming home from a fossil trip and must’ve put the collecting baggies in the bucket for safe keeping and completely forgot about them:P

Darktooth
On 3/1/2018 at 10:24 AM, SailingAlongToo said:

I said the same thing to her. She just held up one hand with 5 fingers extended and the other with 2 fingers extended, and then laughed at me.

What was even more exciting was fossil collecting in our garage on Sunday. I went to wash the Miata so she could drive around with the top down in the 70F weather, and I found 4 ziplock bags with teeth and other assorted fossil goodies in my car wash bucket along with the sponge, soap and brush. Apparently, at some point last year, I cleaned the truck out after coming home from a fossil trip and must have just put the collecting baggies in the bucket for safe keeping, and completely forgot about them. One of the bags even had a nice smallish meg in it. Go figure.......  How do you find a meg and forget about it for 4-5 months only to find it again later. 

A fossil so nice, you find it twice.

oldtimer

Nice finds for the both of you. I like the tooth in the lower right corner.

You two are good to collect and then donate for study. :dinothumb:

Fossil-Hound
On 3/1/2018 at 8:24 AM, SailingAlongToo said:

Man I wish that would happen more to me!