Kimi64

I want to invest in a pair of insulated wading bibs for next winter & I just wanted to see if anyone has a strong opinion on brands or types. Also, opinions on best hats, hiking boots, socks, and or general safety gear or even just other tips for hunting safely and comfortably would also be appreciated. Also just looking to "meet" more of my fellow women fossil hunters. Thank you.:hammer01:

Cabella's has a nice selection of waders also Bass Pro. The neoprene waders are warmer than the rubber ones. When I was fishing 40 degree water I used neoprene waders and long underware. , you don't want to dress too warm, you will sweat and that is not good in waders. Also always wear a wading belt to keep the water out if you fall in..

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

21 hours ago, Herb said:

Cabella's has a nice selection of waders also Bass Pro. The neoprene waders are warmer than the rubber ones. When I was fishing 40 degree water I used neoprene waders and long underware. , you don't want to dress too warm, you will sweat and that is not good in waders. Also always wear a wading belt to keep the water out if you fall in..

A wading belt, thanks Herb, I have seen them on some models but actually didn't make that connection until just now. Yes, lots of nice ones out there, but some of the ones supposedly tailored for us gals tend to have sizing issues & so I am hoping some of the ladies will chime in on that for me. 

depending on your body type you could try a mens. A wading belt can save your life, I can not overemphasize this item.

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

• 1 month later...

If you fall in to waist deep water your waders will fill with water and you can not get upright. If you have a belt on the waders will not fill and you can stand up. And usually not drown.

I'm no lady but...

I don't wear waders as they look odd with my kilt. :P Plus, I usually wind up deeper than the waders/boots anyway.

For hiking boots, I'm a fan of Merrell. They are super comfortable and hold up well.

The best pair of waders I have ever seen are an ancient (old enough I could probably make a post about them in this forum ;) )pair of Hodgman Wadewell waders that I picked up in a junk shop my first year of college.  They are ugly as sin and smell like Chinese tires, but they have never leaked.  They are not insulated, but some leggings or long socks could fix that issue.  Hodgman is still in business; however, I don't know if they have the same quality that they used to.  

I would recommend rubber over other materials as most leaks can be fixed with a tire patch.

For boots, I prefer Red Wing.  They tend to be on the pricey side, but the past two pairs I have had lasted for three years of almost daily hard use (ranching and farming).

Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

Herb is absolutely right on the wader belt. I broke the cardinal rule of wading and steelhead fishing alone. 

Early spring, 5am, freezing water and air temps.

i hook a nice one, reach down to net fish and slip in a hole. I went down, never losing my noodle rod, and filled up with water. I was able to crawl out. 

First thing I did was look around to see if anyone saw! Lol

i easily could have drowned.

Archived