Show me your six and seven gill shark teeth

Woopaul5

Guess I should start adding back to this thread since it’s been resurrected. Thanks @siteseer for notifying me!!!

Here’s a plethora of Notidanodon lookin from Khourigba region of Morocco. Would eventually like to make a dentition or close to one

5CE006B6-414D-4B55-9A58-1D6D86298017.jpeg

Super rare Hexanchus microdon lower symphaseal from Morocco 

383CCF30-05D6-410D-9021-FAC6BC4602F9.jpeg

Hexanchus sp. from the Santa Cruz fm, CA 

908AC892-0625-4A55-9E26-6F91C923B03C.jpeg

A few of my better Notorynchus kempi from Kazakhstan 

6034057C-6360-4850-9C4A-62B6C98AB4D3.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

That's an unusually nice Hexanchus from the Santa Cruz Mudstone and an unusual color for the layer.  Most of the teeth I've seen from there are makos missing the roots and they're black.  What was the site given for that, if you don't mind me asking?

That Notorynchus from Kazakhstan with the lighter-colored tips is cool.  I haven't seen one like that from there.

Jess

Wow, great selection of Notidanodon teeth too!  Yeah, you have the beginning of something interesting there.  A friend told me to use Notorynchus as a model for a Notidanodon dentition if I ever attempted one.

On 6/26/2021 at 3:01 AM, Woopaul5 said:

Guess I should start adding back to this thread since it’s been resurrected. Thanks @siteseer for notifying me!!!

Here’s a plethora of Notidanodon lookin from Khourigba region of Morocco. Would eventually like to make a dentition or close to one

5CE006B6-414D-4B55-9A58-1D6D86298017.jpeg

Super rare Hexanchus microdon lower symphaseal from Morocco 

383CCF30-05D6-410D-9021-FAC6BC4602F9.jpeg

Hexanchus sp. from the Santa Cruz fm, CA 

908AC892-0625-4A55-9E26-6F91C923B03C.jpeg

A few of my better Notorynchus kempi from Kazakhstan 

6034057C-6360-4850-9C4A-62B6C98AB4D3.jpeg

Beautiful teeth. That Santa Cruz formation tooth is awesome. 

On 5/28/2021 at 2:11 PM, siteseer said:

The Oligocene Epoch ended much like it began with cooling climates and an increase in glaciation.  However, the climates of the early Miocene reversed the trend with warmer temperatures into the middle Miocene.  Sea level rose and filled valleys which are now high and dry due to later uplift.  What is now Bakersfield, California was submerged for the first half of the Miocene and shark have been found in Miocene sites in France, Germany, and Switzerland.

Here's a Hexanchus symphyseal from an oddball locality in Lincoln County, Oregon.  It was collected in the late 1960's to early 80's and the collector wasn't sure of the age - either late Oligocene or early Miocene.  The tooth is about 3/8 inches high and 7/16 inches wide (or 9 x 11mm).  The first shot is a fuller view of the root still partly obscured by matrix on one side.  The second shot better shows the shininess of the crown along with the damage on the opposite side.  I had to clean off some glue and matrix to make the tooth stand out more.  It could use more cleaning but it's a delicate specimen and I'm happy with it as-is. 

hex_or2.jpg

hex_or1.jpg

Nice !!! 

• Enjoyed 1

On 6/27/2021 at 6:44 PM, siteseer said:

That's an unusually nice Hexanchus from the Santa Cruz Mudstone and an unusual color for the layer.  Most of the teeth I've seen from there are makos missing the roots and they're black.  What was the site given for that, if you don't mind me asking?

That Notorynchus from Kazakhstan with the lighter-colored tips is cool.  I haven't seen one like that from there.

Jess

Wow, great selection of Notidanodon teeth too!  Yeah, you have the beginning of something interesting there.  A friend told me to use Notorynchus as a model for a Notidanodon dentition if I ever attempted one.

Not sure of the actual site. Got it from a well respected person though. 

Thanks!  The plan is to eventually set up a dentition but I don’t think I’ll ever find a true symphyseal. 

A mix of some Hexanchus griesus from Lee creek. 

22E47C78-CBD5-4AE7-87FA-439DE3015AED.jpeg

Edited by Woopaul5
  • I found this Informative 1

Some reposts of teeth I may of posted. Prob my fav 3 of Hexanchus from Chile 

A5F50560-AECC-445B-B908-2A10241ADF8F.jpeg

I’d say this is about as perfect as perfect can get for a Hexanchus… from Chile 

8DF0A37A-A568-4FCD-A04B-60F8194D5793.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a Hexanchus andersoni lower anterolateral from the Sharktooth Hill Bonebed, Bakersfield, CA.  It's about an inch and a half (38mm) long. 

sth_hex5.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a specimen I'm pretty sure is a Hexanchus andersoni symphyseal (mid-Miocene, Round Mountain Silt, the old Whale Quarry, Bakersfield, CA) though of an unusual morphology.  The root isn't complete but what's there looks right for that.  The tooth is about 9mm high from the base of what's left of the root to the tip. 

hex_sth2b.jpg

hex_sth2a.jpg

Edited by siteseer
  • Enjoyed 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Woopaul,

I've been thinking about your Santa Cruz Mudstone tooth.  In my opinion I think it's possible that it's actually from the Lower Santa Margarita Sandstone which is also exposed in the Santa Cruz area especially closer to and within the city limits of Scotts Valley.  Teeth in the Lower Santa Margarita are usually quite worn but better-preserved teeth have been collected especially if found exposed in a cliff wall right after a rain. 

Teeth from the Santa Cruz Mudstone tend to be gray to black and are missing their roots.  I can't be certain because every formation yields a few surprises but I don't think that tooth is from that formation.  I've collected a few sites for the Santa Margarita but not the Santa Cruz.  However, @Boesse has probably collected that area more than I.  It would be interesting to get his opinion.

Jess

On 1/26/2021 at 9:03 PM, siteseer said:

One interesting interval of geologic time is the Eocene Epoch.  Worldwide climates had been warm-tropical as a trend across the Mesozoic Era with an interruption at the end before resuming in the Paleocene and Early Eocene.  Climates began cooling in the middle Eocene to the point that ice began building at the poles by the early Oligocene - something that hadn't happened since perhaps the early Permian.  This reversal of the climatic trend would lead to further glaciation at the poles and major glacial advances during the Pleistocene.

The sevengill shark, Notorynchus, appears in the early Eocene and is perhaps best known from that time from the London Clay of various sites in the U.K.  Paleontologists once considered the genus as present in the early Cretaceous but all Mesozoic and Paleocene species have been reassigned to the genus Gladioserratus.  It seems Notorynchus descended from Gladioserratus with the latter disappearing by the early Eocene.  Today, Notorynchus frequents temperate waters.  It's possible it evolved as a form that tolerated and later preferred cooler water.

This Notorynchus upper tooth comes from the middle Eocene Castle Hayne Formation in Onslow County, North Carolina.  I don't have more exact information than that but believe it was collected in a limestone quarry, a locality where collectors are allowed to visit periodically to collect fossils.  The tooth measures just under 5/8 inches (15mm) wide.  It was identified as N. kempi, a species known from the middle-late Eocene of Europe and central Asia.

Jess

7gill_nc.jpg

Jess, this is a very interesting tooth. Cow sharks are extremely rare in the Castle Hayne, I have a small handful of Hexanchus , mostly broken and rootless from 2 locations. Most people will probably never find one. However, this is the only tooth I know of that has been ID'd as Notorhynchus from the Castle Hayne. If it came from Onslow County, I know the site and have collected it extensively over the years. I have only ever seen one Hexanchus from there about 8 years ago. So this was quite a find for who ever found it.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Owing to the light color, and the "Santa Cruz Formation" tag, I'd hazard a guess that this is not the Santa Cruz Mudstone. I doubt you'd be able to collect a Hexanchus tooth from that unit and clean both sides: it's extremely hard. I've only ever found a couple of shark teeth in it - it's very poorly fossiliferous, though I do know the location of a small mysticete and a sea cow eroding out that can probably never be safely collected.

I've been meaning to share these teeth in here - both UCMP specimens, both from the Purisima Formation near Santa Cruz - the big one is one of the largest I've ever seen, and the other is quite possibly the nicest I've ever seen from just about anywhere (scale bar is 2cm long on each):

IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_9734.JPG

Edited by Boesse
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

On 8/25/2021 at 7:22 PM, Boesse said:

Owing to the light color, and the "Santa Cruz Formation" tag, I'd hazard a guess that this is not the Santa Cruz Mudstone. I doubt you'd be able to collect a Hexanchus tooth from that unit and clean both sides: it's extremely hard. I've only ever found a couple of shark teeth in it - it's very poorly fossiliferous, though I do know the location of a small mysticete and a sea cow eroding out that can probably never be safely collected.

I've been meaning to share these teeth in here - both UCMP specimens, both from the Purisima Formation near Santa Cruz - the big one is one of the largest I've ever seen, and the other is quite possibly the nicest I've ever seen from just about anywhere (scale bar is 2cm long on each):

IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_9734.JPG

Fantastic teeth, great location. 

I haven’t contributed anything to this thread in awhile. Here’s a nifty upper from a pretty recently described Hexanchiformes. 

Protoheptranchias

Cretaceous

Northumberland Formation 

Hornby Island BC

2CFBFC0C-0F53-4AFD-AC4C-29823D51AB43.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

Gladioserratus aptiensis from the gargasian of carniol, france ;) 

CB4D2862-D786-45B4-930A-E180A32F1841.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

One of our volunteers found a really nice Notorynchus cepedianus lower symphyseal while picking 1/4" matrix from the Montbrook site here in Florida. Much earlier in this topic I had posted some of the Notorynchus teeth that I managed to turn up while picking through the same coarse matrix from Montbrook but this beats them all hands-down.

I just finished imaging this tooth for the museum and it's a real beaut!

Cheers.

-Ken

UF 484000.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

27 minutes ago, digit said:

One of our volunteers found a really nice Notorynchus cepedianus lower symphyseal while picking 1/4" matrix from the Montbrook site here in Florida. Much earlier in this topic I had posted some of the Notorynchus teeth that I managed to turn up while picking through the same coarse matrix from Montbrook but this beats them all hands-down.

Cheers.

-Ken

UF 484000.jpg

Ooh nice one :) looks almost like a sunset on the horizon, would you mind telling me how you do your imaging, I would love to do something similar with my specimens ;) 

I'll drop you a PM so as not to clutter up this topic. Anyone else interested is welcome to PM me for info. ;)

Cheers,

-Ken

• Thank You 1

On 8/23/2021 at 5:46 PM, sixgill pete said:

Jess, this is a very interesting tooth. Cow sharks are extremely rare in the Castle Hayne, I have a small handful of Hexanchus , mostly broken and rootless from 2 locations. Most people will probably never find one. However, this is the only tooth I know of that has been ID'd as Notorhynchus from the Castle Hayne. If it came from Onslow County, I know the site and have collected it extensively over the years. I have only ever seen one Hexanchus from there about 8 years ago. So this was quite a find for who ever found it.

Hi Don,

I didn't realize it was such a rare tooth beyond the general rarity of near-complete/complete hexanchid teeth.  I obtained it so long ago (early 90's?) that I can't recall if I bought or traded for it.  I was actively trading and buying at the time.  I can see that It could be a Hexanchus tooth, and when I look at elasmo.com, I see that all the other hexanchids from there have traditionally been ID'ed as H. agassizi.  The label with the tooth came from the previous owner.  I have to say I agreed with it at the time.  Thanks for the comment.

Jess

On 8/30/2021 at 12:58 AM, sharko69 said:

Hexanchus from the Capistrano formation. California.

657028B3-6D7A-47D4-9F37-7ED7A582EE3F.jpeg

Fantastic tooth

On 8/30/2021 at 5:32 AM, digit said:

Cheers.

-Ken

UF 484000.jpg

Oh that is just fantastic Ken !!!

Another one from the Cretaceous Northumberland Formation, Hornby Island  

Notidanodon pectinatus. Not a perfect tooth but I couldn’t care less lol 

1364DB6D-955B-4B58-8420-735A18E74735.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2