Jeffrey P

Yesterday, I visited the American Museum of Natural History in New York with my girlfriend, benefitting from free passes she got from the local library. Spent some time in the Hall of Vertebrate Origins which is over all my favorite exhibit though the two dinosaur halls and the hall of prehistoric mammals- all on the 4th Floor are well worth visiting. Took a number of pictures of the fossil fishes for Fossildude19 and the rest of the Forum membership. Poor lighting in that section of the exhibit hall limited what I was able to take, but hope you enjoy what I could record. Fish fossil experts feel free to jump in and identify what's shown:

IMG_5921.JPG

IMG_5922.JPG

IMG_5923.JPG

IMG_5924.JPG

Love the pics, Jeff! Thanks for sharing this. When are we going hunting?:D

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

And I'll include this one slab with multiple amphibian fossils. In addition to the fish there is a multitude of impressive amphibian and reptile fossils on display in this hall. If you're ever in the Big Apple I encourage you to check it out. 

IMG_5952.JPG

One fish two fish, dead fish cool fish!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thank you, Jeff. I need to get there soon!  Can I see everything in the museum on a three-hour tour?

;)

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

I'm sorry waiter, but these fish are just too bony for my liking.. my palate just cannot deal with this!!!

...Or I can just be normal and say I'm glad you had a great time in a great museum :)

Those specimens are ridiculous!

Jeff,

Excellent photos!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Thanks for thinking of me. I appreciate that. 

I think I recognize a few of those fish. (These are mostly could be - some are best guesses)

1 - Looks like Lepidotus sp. to me.???

2 - Calamopleurus cylindricus -  Brazil - Crato or Santana formation  Early Cretaceous

3 - Dentiilepisosteus ? Brazil - Crato or Santana formation  Early Cretaceous

4 - Neoproscinetes penlavai

5 - Teoichthys kallistos - Mexico  Early Cretaceous

6 - Cladocyclus gardneri  - Brazil - Crato or Santana formation  Early Cretaceous

7 - ???

8 - Aspidorhynchus acutirostris  - from Solnhofen. Late Jurassic

9 - Calamopleurus  cylindricus -  Brazil - Crato or Santana formation  Early Cretaceous

10 - Eonaso deani - Antigua

11 - Knightia eocaena Green River Formation

12 -  Brannerion sp.

13 -  Phareodus testis  - Green River Formation

14 - Rhacolepis bucallis - Brazil - Crato or Santana formation

15 - Araripichthys castilhoi  - Brazil - Crato or Santana formation

16 - Diplurus newarki   We know where these came from. ;) 

17 -  Diplurus newarki     "

18 - Undina sp.  ???

19 - Dipterus valenciennesi   - Achanarras Scotland - Middle Devonian 

20 - Ischyodus avitus   - Solnhofen - Late Jurassic

21 - Hybodus ??? 

22 - Teeth

23 - ???

24 - Bothriolepis canadensis - Escuminic Bay - Quebec, Canada - Late Devonian

25 - Xiphactinus audax -  Late Cretaceous

26 - Eusthenopteron foordi - Escuminac Bay - Quebec, Canada - Late Devonian

27 - Scaumenacia  & Eusthenopteron - Escuminac Bay - Quebec, Canada - Late Devonian

28 - Redfieldius gracilis - dorso ventrally flattened - Late Triassic of New Jersey or Early Jurassic of CT. 

29 - ???

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:48 PM, Darktooth said:

Love the pics, Jeff! Thanks for sharing this. When are we going hunting?:D

Thanks. Hopefully I'll be collecting up in your area soon. Let me know when the snow's all melted off. I'll let you know about my plans. 

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:52 PM, FossilDAWG said:

Thanks for the tour!  I do have an inordinate fondness for fish fossils! :wub:

Don

Thanks Don. Glad you appreciate them. There was a lot there that didn't make it to this report. Definitely worth checking out on your own.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:22 PM, WhodamanHD said:

One fish two fish, dead fish cool fish!

Glad you appreciate these. 

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:35 PM, Pagurus said:

Thank you, Jeff. I need to get there soon!  Can I see everything in the museum on a three-hour tour?

;)

Three hours would probably get you through most of the fourth floor with the vertebrate fossils, but you would miss everything else. The Hall of Ocean Life with the replica blue whale is definitely a sight you don't want to miss. 

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:31 PM, frankh8147 said:

I'm sorry waiter, but these fish are just too bony for my liking.. my palate just cannot deal with this!!!

...Or I can just be normal and say I'm glad you had a great time in a great museum :)

Those specimens are ridiculous!

Glad you appreciate these Frank. I certainly do. 

Archived