Fossil ID help

mnewman0945

Hello all!

I am somewhat new to this but very excited! I recently went on a hiking trip and found this rock (with some fossils) on it.  Have no clue what they are; maybe you can help identify them!  We were in Free Soil Michigan on the Lake Michigan shoreline when I came across the rock. Any and all help would be amazing!  Thanks!!

fossil pic one.jpg

fossil pic two.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

It is a colonial rugosan coral.  You might compare it to Hexagonaria, a Devonian coral that is commonly found as cobbles on some shorelines in your area.  It is commonly referred to as "Petoskey stone".

Don

• I found this Informative 4

Welcome to TFF from Leicestershire and very beautiful coral . Good find hope you find more fossils . Cheers Bobby 

• I found this Informative 1

30 minutes ago, mnewman0945 said:

That's fantastic!!  How old do you think these are?  Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Welcome to the forum from Germany. Your coral is probably from the Missippian epoch of the carboniferous period, which would make it at least 325 million years old.

Edit: I just had a closer look at the geological map and see that the coast west of Free Soil is at the southern edge of the Devonian outcrop, so see Tim's post below. The Carboniferous starts just to the south.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Welcome to the Forum.

If indeed it is Devonian,  that puts it between 419 million years ago and 358 million years ago.  :)

Neat find. Thanks for showing us. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome!, I agree with fossilDawg on the coral.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Fossil ID help