Rockwood

I thought about this as an example of bone from the Morrison formation, but realized that I'm not positive that it is bone.

It was found southwest of the ghost town of Cisco, UT. Our target site that day was the old Cactus Rat uranium mine. It seemed harmless since the area was already quite disturbed.

By the way I do store it in lead flashing.

IMG_4555.JPG

IMG_4557.JPG

IMG_4553a.jpg

IMG_4558.JPG

I first thought that it looked like porous  bone. But when you zoom in, it is not tiny holes in the piece but tiny "needles" poking out. These needles reminds me of rutile. ( Not saying that I think It is ) 

Strange. I don't think it is bone.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

15 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Is that why your photos have a green tinge

I sat it on a yellow capped jar of instant coffee to get it closer to a full spectrum desk lamp.

If the lamps light is in the blue range, blue and yellow make green ?

Maybe it's just that I'm red / green color blind. :) 

Yes, I would say it has strong possibility of being a Morrison Fm chunkosaur.  Those needle-ish things are fairly common in Morrison preservation.  The different parts of the bone preserve and eroded differently.  

• I found this Informative 5

Nice work on the 2nd image. It's great when you zoom in on a pic and can actually see more than before you zoomed in. I can't offer anything on ID however.

Almost looks like Palmoxylon.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

What it looks exactly like is petrified palm wood.  There must be more in the area it is found in that part of the country.

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, goatinformationist said:

What it looks exactly like is petrified palm wood.  There must be more in the area it is found in that part of the country.

Exactly ?

Aren't the elements a bit too circular ? 

14 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I also think it's a chunk of palm wood, with a bit of the bark

Palms do not have a "bark" . (unless there is a chiguagua stuck in it.):P

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

For comparison is this chunk of palmoxylon in which the vesicles have not been infilled with exogenous material ("needles").

twigpalm.jpg.0558b2910e1ee05fa15a28ab842e5ca1.jpg

I thought that this second example might be palmoxylon, but now I am doubtful . . . What do you think?

twigs_palm_A.JPG

twigs_palm_E.JPG

twigs_palm_F.JPG

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

39 minutes ago, ynot said:

Palms do not have a "bark" . (unless there is a chiguagua stuck in it.):P

?

Image result for palm cross sectionThe oil palm.

Image result for palm cross sectionCompared with a typical tree trunk. The 'bark' on a palm is sometimes referred to as the epidermis, but sometimes as 'bark'.

This one from Researchgate :

Image result for palm cross section

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

6 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Compared with a typical tree trunk. The 'bark' on a palm is sometimes referred to as the epidermis, but sometimes as 'bark'.

Now it is My turn to learn something new (to Me.).

20 hours ago, Rockwood said:

If the lamps light is in the blue range, blue and yellow make green ?

It can get much more complicated than that. For example you may perceive the lamp being in the blue range but it might have colour temperature spikes. Grab your camera, turn off auto white balance and photograph some standard ‘white’ fluorescent and enjoy the green cast.

One photographic technique I teach uses a type of film that doesn’t ‘see’ red but rather blue and UV. A bit like darkroom photo paper which is why you can work under red light.

A common form of continuous lighting used in photography is a redhead which only emits the red end of the spectrum. I had a student who was adamant that if he put a blue gel (filter) over a redhead light he could take images. I said if there’s no green/blue light in the redhead lighting putting a blue Hell will make no difference. Might as well not turn them on, save electricity. If it ain’t in there to start with you ain’t gonna get any out whatever you do. He was adamant I was wrong and tried to prove me wrong. Cost him ££££ in film testing.....

• I found this Informative 3

10 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Anyone have any ideas about the palm or not-palm in my last three images above?

I would go with palm on all three.

17 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Anyone have any ideas about the palm or not-palm in my last three images above?

I can't answer your question, but I'm wondering about the white portions of the textures. Maybe it's a sign of fungal attack, delignified wood in the decaying process (before permineralization), or is a feature of the light sources for the photos, or salts, sulphates from the ocean?

5a97359485ff8_ppinidecayedwood.jpg.c42a20bc7b77d9dad2b9e0f20ca718b5.jpg1376_737_197-araucarioxylon.jpg.0a8636f2d63cf776cb1658f0c4deba73.jpg5a973597997b9_delignifiedfibers.jpg.242dd13af45254dabba656b43c6213f8.jpg

pictures from here:

link 1

link 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

I can't answer your question, but I'm wondering about the white portions of the textures. Maybe it's a sign of fungal attack, delignified wood in the decaying process (before permineralization), or is a feature of the light sources for the photos, or salts, sulphates from the ocean?

It's the bright light for the images.  The material is a uniform color.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest