Cloud the Dinosaur King

Hello all. There are a few fossil finding locations I hope to go to soon. Number 1 on my list is some Cretaceous dig site in South Carolina, probably somewhere near or in a river. I haven't worked out an exact location yet, but I will be going soon. If anyone has any creek, river, or quarry they suggest I should go to, let me know. Number two is Texas. I will be going all around Texas, and possibly to the Grand Canyon. I will look for some creeks or quarries I can go to to look for fossils, presumably before the KPG mass extinction. If anyone has a good fossil finding location, let me know. Last on my list is Lake Huron. I went to Lake Huron over the summer, and while my cousin played in the water, I stayed on the shore to look for fossils with my grandfather, and boy did we find a lot of them! We mostly found shells and corals, but we did find a burrow of one of those coil-shelled worms. I also found a crinoid shell. Next time I go, I hope to find the actual worm shell! A geologist said he found a dinosaur tooth there, but it must have been the tooth of something else. I am also going to other places, but at the moment, I'm not sure where. I will keep you guys updated!

I've got no spots in those locations that I know about but those are some of the same places on my fossil bucket list. If you do make it out this summer to fossil hunting trips think about bringing a camera (or smart phone) to snap some photos of your trip. We love to read about (and see photos from) trips that our members make. It's a great way to virtually experience other locations that we've never been to or may not ever get to. Sometimes, it stirs us with the needed motivation to go organize a trip ourselves to go see fossil hunting sites in person. Looking forward to reading/seeing your next fossil hunt.

Cheers.

-Ken

plenty of Peedee Formation along the ICW in Myrtle Beach and occasionally after beach renourishment or construction there. There is also a book on South Carolina dinosaurs that includes sites. (google). Rivers,streams and construction sites around Florence expose cretaceous sediments.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

@Cloud the Dinosaur King not sure where on the shores of Lake Huron you'll be, but if you are willing to travel north into Michigan, hit the mid Devonian of Alpena, Mich.  Search this forum and the web for good sites.

I already know where I will be going, and I had lots of luck. It's a beach in Port Huron, kind of by the library.