Show me your Sassy Sandtiger

Darktooth

I figured that while we are on a show me your sharkteeth kick, why not show some of our specail sandtiger teeth The poor sandtiger hardly gets any press, but they can still be a nice addition to any collection. Here is my absolute favorite. It is another Brownies beach special. When I found it in the surf it was a dark black/grey color. But when it dried out I got a blue/tan mottled blade with a brown root. Also the root is kind of oversized for the blade. It has some wicked cusps as well.

20180227_214020.jpg

20180227_214046.jpg

20180227_214105.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I agree that those poor Sand Tigers don't get enough time in the spotlight. Now it's their time to shine! Here's one of the best from my collection so far. My dad found it dry sifting the high tide line at Stratford Hall. It's in such good condition that it almost seems like it's a replica rather than an actual fossil! He's only been hunting with me on a couple of outings and this is most definitely his best find. Enjoy!

IMG_5927.jpg

IMG_5933.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

Mine are shy of the 1 1/2 inch mark, the left being from Brownies and the right being from Douglas point. I bet there is someone who heads out and says to themselves “Man, if I can find myself an epic Sand Tiger tooth, I’ll be over the moon”

not something I actively search for but something I welcome whole-heartedly .

ill exclude my Moroccan ones because I feel like that’s cheating:D 

83150605-B4D8-4918-9F18-6612045654A5.jpeg

92467122-8354-4F71-8959-31516E8FF5FC.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

My favourites are three intermediates from Striatolamia (possibly also Hypotodus) from Kyiv suite, Lutetian, Ukraine

Striatolamia intermediates

The Tooth Fairy

3 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Here's an Odontaspis aculeatus from the Maastrichtian Peedee Formation.

Odontaspis aculeatus.jpg

Now that's a wicked looking tooth!

Might as well throw in the Odontaspis reticulata from the Hop 5 of one of my Brownie's beach trips as well. Some nice cusplets and a crazy curve makes it my favorite Smalltooth Sand Tiger tooth so far.

IMG_5035.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

• 2 years later...

Let’s see if we can help this thread get jump started. I love Odontaspis teeth and we are fortunate to have a small collection that includes some pretty wicked teeth. 

Odontaspis ferox

Miocene/Pliocene

Bahia Inglesa

Copiapo Chile 

C98F9E5C-4272-4AF8-AA1C-6131D10A2975.jpeg

Interesting Oligocene specimen. This is also our largest Odontaspis. Our only tooth from this particular KZ formation too. 

Odontaspis 

Oligocene

Kujulus Formation 

Ungoza Kazakhstan 

DC5D5CE4-A936-4286-8D5A-A2E81625FC8D.jpeg

Among my favorite Sand Tigers in our collection are these. The largest one was collected by my son. 

Carcharias sp

Cretaceous

Chico Formation 

Butte County California 

37AEB0A0-FB07-472C-A1EB-A5883B9DE5C2.jpeg

On 2/28/2018 at 3:47 AM, Al Dente said:

Here's an Odontaspis aculeatus from the Maastrichtian Peedee Formation.

Odontaspis aculeatus.jpg

Stunning tooth. Perfect !!!

Carcharias taurus

Pliocene-Miocene

Bone Valley, Venice, FL

IMG_0850.thumb.jpeg.033e6a30039f118f9214218e4242f6ac.jpeg

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Eostriatolamia holmdelensis from the Cretaceous Blufftown Formation of Western Georgia. At 1.1 cm this is a pretty big one.

eo2.png.a693df0f4fb902ee441098162ce53fe8.png

eo1.png.3e18388d6bf9879bebf94771627d1a8d.png

eo3.png.75c52b288e73e0d0532a07b8f1a8fb8e.png

My biggest Carcharias is this 1 1/2 inch tooth from the Sandersville Limestone Member of the Tobacco Road Sands Formation (Late Eocene) in Washington County, Georgia.

tiger.png.8637adca2d6ac6596d1531344ca91e22.png

From the same site as the big one this lateral Carcharias is my favorite colored one. It's difficult to show in the pictures but the transition colors are amazing.

tige.png.dfb7f72b7d22ab925c3bfc11fcbd539a.png

Ti.png.fb6968e9b76e6fa680b47728eff724eb.png

Tig.png.c2e7289473fc6af3c28459f3b73e42bb.png

I had forgotten about this thread. Nice to see it revived.

Here is a nifty Sand Tiger. After quite a bit of research and putting this in an ID thread here some time ago, I settled on the ID as Odontaspis. 

Odontaspis sp

Cretaceous

Unknown Formation 

Tambov Region Russia

725C0705-8C91-416C-B28C-B290C19BF1D1.jpeg

Last one from me for now. Don’t want to hog the post but this is a fun one. The only known planktivorous Sand Tiger. 

Pseudomegachasma

Cretaceous

Melovatka Formation 

Saratov Region Russia

I sent pictures to Dr. Shimada and he thought the ID is most likely correct but I still need to send additional pictures to confirm it but I feel pretty good with the ID. 

EA2CCF2F-6E94-4ED9-BF82-08FBB6E735C9.jpeg

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, siteseer said:

Hi Kurt,

You didn't give the size of your Ungoza, Kazakhstan tooth.

@fossilsonwheels

Hi Jess

23mm. One of the Chilean teeth is right around 23mm too. 

Kurt

Here's an oddball tooth.  It's an Odontaspis ferox from the early-middle Miocene of Bakersfield but it's from a formation that's a few million years older than the Round Mountain Silt.  It's from the Olcese Sand out of a thin shelly layer.  The mix of shark teeth you find in it is different from what you get in the STH Bonebed and so are the colors ranging from sort of a cola brown to black along with some sky-blue though many teeth are weathered/somewhat bleached out.  Isurus desori, Carcharhinus, and myliobatid teeth are the most common ones you'll find and I've found at least a partial Echinorhinus every time I dug there.  The rarer teeth are Carcharocles (chubutensis/early megalodon), Cetorhinus and Odontaspis.  One of the times I dug there, another guy found a beautiful and complete sky-blue Carcharocles around 3-inches long with is a bid one for the layer.  You can screen the matrix for Squalus, Sphyrna, Cetorhinus, and ray teeth

This O. ferox is about 1 9/16 inches high and unusually complete.  It's the largest one I've seen from there.  

Jess

oferox_olcese.jpg