Baculites

Malone

I found what I believe to be baculites and was wondering if there were any suggestions on trying to prep, treat, or leave as is. The one still in the matrix is showing on the back side as just a small rusty dot, but is in direct line with what appears to be the tentacles that are shown oxidized and affixed to the matrix. Any thoughts would be welcomed and appreciated.

IMG_3519.JPG

IMG_3527.JPG

This is the back side of the matrix. The matrix is only being held together by the baculite. There is approximately 3 inches from end to end.

IMG_3546.JPG

Just now, Jeffrey P said:

That second one looks more like a fossil ghost shrimp burrow.

Thank you! you are probably right I'm real new to collecting fossils. I can't see any real form of a creature. That's why I wondered if there is a way to reveal it better.

Those “tentacles” be iron stains, from evoparated water rich in iron.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

I believe you are correct. I researched it and it definitely looks like one. I now realize it's possibly the creature and the burrow. Thank you again!

4 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Those “tentacles” be iron stains, from evoparated water rich in iron.

There is more than just stains. There's a thicker substance than rust. I believe the iron comes from pseudomorphed pyrite and rain water.

1 minute ago, Malone said:

There is more than just stains. There's a thicker substance than rust. I believe the iron comes from pseudomorphed pyrite and rain water.

So, water rich in iron is redeposited  (maybe limonite in this case) in a crack the thickness of the space in between the planes is the reason for the thickness.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

this is a geologic feature not a biologic one

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

4 minutes ago, Herb said:

So a three inch straight iron deposit in the middle of limestone? That doesn't make sense to me. Within the same location as multiple fossils.

19 minutes ago, Herb said:

So what brought you to a definite assertion of this being biological?

1 hour ago, Jeffrey P said:

Here is a picture from what I believe would be the top of the burrow.

IMG_3551.JPG

I wonder if these could be burrows filled with some iron bearing sands? The reason I was guessing baculites is because they are known to be prevalent in this area and they have a similar shape. Also when are  fossils are completely oxidized  to the point of ruin? 

I see these type of iron nodules/forns all the time especially in Mississippian and Pennsylvanian strata.. Some are burrows that have been filled in with iron.

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

1 minute ago, Herb said:

I see these type of iron nodules/forns all the time especially in Mississippian and Pennsylvanian strata.. Some are burrows that have been filled in with iron.

Is it possible that these could be occupied burrows?

2 minutes ago, Malone said:

Is it possible that these could be occupied burrows?

If it is evaporite formed, then no.

It was found near a debris pile so I am unsure of the exact formation. My guess would be from the rock canyon anticline, possibly the Pierre shale.

Depending on several factors(original seafloor oxygenation,animal using mucus to line the burrow wall or not,presence/absence of (methanotrophic) bacteria,early diagenesis, compaction,porewater chemistry,depth of oxygen penetration into the upper layers of sediment,sediment reworking,changing sediment consistency(e.g. grainsize),amount of particle advection by the animal ,burrows can affect the oxygenation gradients and general permeability(and porosity) of the surrounding sediment.

Animal/sediment relations are extremely complicated, fat books have been written about it

edit:The Gammon Shale has lots of siderite concetions,it seems

• I found this Informative 1