Cleaning Shark Teeth

TonyC

My last time out I found a lot of shark teeth.  They are all black.  Can these be cleaned or are they just black?  If they can be cleaned how does one go about cleaning them?  

Fossilized shark's teeth are commonly black in color. Your finds are as they should be and "scrubbing" will not change them. Due to environmental conditions some teeth do show a variety of colors and can be very beautiful. Search the Forum for "shark tooth and color" and you should find some examples.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Colors range the spectrum. It all depends on what minerals and acids were present in the surrounding soils and water when fossilizing. Lots of variety out there in Ma Natures backyard.

Yup. Little you can do to modify their color. Most of what we find in the Peace River are shades of black and gray but occasionally we find ones buried in lighter colored clays and we get creams, oranges, and whites. We love looking at fossil shark teeth here on the forum. If you'd like to share a photo or two of your finds we'd enjoy seeing them. Where were you able to collect these from?

Cheers.

-Ken

On 2/28/2018 at 7:55 AM, TonyC said:

My last time out I found a lot of shark teeth.  They are all black.  Can these be cleaned or are they just black?  If they can be cleaned how does one go about cleaning them?  

Shark teeth are always different colors based on what they mineralize in. Jet Black is the most common color of the bunch. Some of the colors that teeth can also mineralize as include, but aren't limited to: Brown, Cream, bloodred, and even purple.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

14 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Shark teeth are always different colors based on what they mineralize in. Jet Black is the most common color of the bunch. Some of the colors that teeth can also mineralize as include, but aren't limited to: Brown, Cream, bloodred, and even purple.

My personal favorite is blue. I have a gorgeous hemipristis serra that has a blue to blue-gray blade with a tan root. It's from Belgrade Quarry in NC and it is stunning!

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Just send them to me for cleaning.

I'll send back some smaller ones and give you the excuse they shrunk in the wash.:P

5 hours ago, SailingAlongToo said:

My personal favorite is blue. I have a gorgeous hemipristis serra that has a blue to blue-gray blade with a tan root. It's from Belgrade Quarry in NC and it is stunning!

Picture?  Would love to see it.

On 3/1/2018 at 11:10 AM, SailingAlongToo said:

Any images?

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Archived