Is it worth buying Pyritized fossils for display?

aplomado

Is it worth buying Pyritized fossils (ammonites, etc) for display?

I have read many times about them being damaged by "pyrite disease."

I am not interested in buying one of these fossils if I have to keep it sealed away.

Thank you.

Pyrite Disease is sometimes, but not always, a fatal one for an openly displayed pyritized fossil.
I have some that were fine, but had turned to powder when next I opened the box. On the other hand, I have a large pyritized brachiopod (bought from Malick's Fossils 50+ years ago) that is fine. My impression is that the most unstable ones are the Jurassic ones from the UK, but that is hear-say info.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I lost nearly all my UK Lias ammonites and much of my Sheppey stuff to pyrites disease. 

But as Auspex says it seems to be pretty random. 

A couple of my oldest ones are still with me. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

There have been extensive discussions about Pyrite Disease here on the Forum.  ;) 

Here is a particularly ambitious experiment in preventing the onset of Pyrite Disease.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Are you in an area that experiences a lot of humidity or moisture in general, ie. the beach?  If so you may be a tad bit more susceptible to it.

I live in California. We refer to our environment as a "dry heat", lol.

On February 28, 2018 at 3:32 PM, Auspex said:

Pyrite Disease is sometimes, but not always, a fatal one for an openly displayed pyritized fossil.
I have some that were fine, but had turned to powder when next I opened the box. On the other hand, I have a large pyritized brachiopod (bought from Malick's Fossils 50+ years ago) that is fine. My impression is that the most unstable ones are the Jurassic ones from the UK, but that is hear-say info.

Hi Chas.

I had a small sample of various ammonites from the Jurassic Lons-le-Saulnier site in France.  They were nice pyrtized specimens at first but within a few years every one of them became reduced to powder.  I have a few from about the same part of the Jurassic from Germany that are still fine.  I have a couple of pyrite-coated Ptychodus teeth (Turonian age) from South Dakota and they're fine.

Jess

On 2/28/2018 at 7:19 PM, caldigger said:

Are you in an area that experiences a lot of humidity or moisture in general, ie. the beach?  If so you may be a tad bit more susceptible to it.

I live in California. We refer to our environment as a "dry heat", lol.

We are pretty humid down here in the summer...

Archived