Concretion? Placoderm?

Crazyhen

My friend found this big concretion like fossil in Quqing, Yunnan of China.  Something on the surface looks like a placoderm to me, what do you think?

65EBA43F-6022-4311-8980-EAD508C8B55B.jpeg

C50A362A-1933-46C0-817D-2D60FB8D6FCE.jpeg

520A6A51-FC78-49E5-936F-932B0FC9F9FA.jpeg

There looks like a lot more going on in there than just a concretion. I just don't know what.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

It’s discovered at Quqing where fossils at an age of 400M years ago have been found.

very cool looking fossil

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

1 hour ago, Crazyhen said:

It’s discovered at Quqing where fossils at an age of 400M years ago have been found.

In that case I'm going to say yes it is a placoderm.

7 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

Does my drawing below shows the position of the placoderm?

Sure does.

2 hours ago, Foozil said:

In that case I'm going to say yes it is a placoderm.

I have never seen a fossil fish on the surface of a concretion.  Don’t know if there is anything inside the concretion.

11 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

I have never seen a fossil fish on the surface of a concretion.  Don’t know if there is anything inside the concretion.

It looks like the concretion used to be much bigger and the fish just weathered out. I'd leave it as-is.

• I found this Informative 1

Has anyone considered the possibility of it being the regurgitated remains of said placoderm ?

That would explain what else is going on with it.

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Has anyone considered the possibility of it being the regurgitated remains of said placoderm ?

I can't imagine it staying in such good shape after being regurgitated. I imagine the other bits and pieces are just from other individuals or bits that fell off during decomposition. 

33 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

You mean the concretion is the regurgitated remains of the placoderm?

21 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

You mean the concretion is the regurgitated remains of the placoderm?

Maybe. It should be considered by someone more knowledgeable than I. 

I'd say you should consider getting a professional to do some further prep on that.  

Don

22 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

professional

I've already pictured the mess I would make of it. :)

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

I've already pictured the mess I would make of it. :)

Me too!

Don

15 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

15 hours ago, Foozil said:

It looks like the concretion used to be much bigger and the fish just weathered out. I'd leave it as-is.

Hmmm...
Hard concretions form around organic material, by the alchemy of bacterial action. Sometimes the nucleus is not in the center of the mass, and some of the fossil is "outside" the hardest accreted material. Weathering on such a concretion can result in the kind of thing we see here.

This would be a terribly difficult prep...even for a pro.

• I found this Informative 4

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

14 hours ago, Foozil said:

I can't imagine it staying in such good shape after being regurgitated. I imagine the other bits and pieces are just from other individuals or bits that fell off during decomposition. 

It just occurred to me that one often sees fish fossils inside other fish fossils in museums. They are nicely articulated. Just throw the old G.I. tract into reverse and there you go.

10 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

I'd say you should consider getting a professional to do some further prep on that.  

Don

Everyone said it is difficult to prep this fossil, is it because the concretion is too hard?  I also wonder if this fossil is quite complete as I usually see placoderm fossil with skull only.

So I don't think this is a placoderm, but I'm not entirely sure what it is. I think it's some sort of accumulation of marine invertebrates, possibly an assemblage of brachiopods. Not certain; I'd need to see better pictures.

19 hours ago, jdp said:

So I don't think this is a placoderm, but I'm not entirely sure what it is. I think it's some sort of accumulation of marine invertebrates, possibly an assemblage of brachiopods. Not certain; I'd need to see better pictures.

It looks more like a fish to me than an assesmblage of brachiopods.  Do you mean that the concretion is made of an assemblage of brachiopods or you mean the skull like structure is brachiopods instead of a placoderm skull?

I don't see anything fishlike about it. I think the "skull" is some sort of shell, and I think the "vertebrae" are the edges of two or three brachs with ribbed surface texture, like spirifirids.  I honestly do not see anything vertebrate about this entire fossil, but I have seen many invertebrate clumps that look vaguely like this when pulled out of the ground.