fish bone?

fossilnut

I apologize as I did not keep any information about where I found this. But I saved it as I was curious. I have showed it to some experienced natural history collectors and those interested in skulls without any success. So I am asking if anyone can help. I do not even know for sure that it is fish. But I remain curious. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

DSCN5033.JPG

54 minutes ago, fossilnut said:

I apologize as I did not keep any information about where I found this. But I saved it as I was curious. I have showed it to some experienced natural history collectors and those interested in skulls without any success. So I am asking if anyone can help. I do not even know for sure that it is fish. But I remain curious. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

This is part of a fish skull .... of a catfish perhaps (?) Part of the pectoral girdle I believe.  Kinda like this.  Someone more knowledgeable on fish heads may correct me .. but I know I'm in the right vicinity.

P_mac_shou_gir_vv.thumb.JPG.19985ae0805be052066befc5190f6f2e.JPG

Image source: http://catfishbone.acnatsci.org/Pimelodidae/Pimelodus/maculatus/dry.skeleton.html

Dorsal.thumb.JPG.3901a9a89ea8145bfd28b928cfb91e91.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

This is part of a fish skull .... of a catfish perhaps (?) Part of the pectoral girdle I believe. 

I agree with a fish pectoral girdle, but that is not part of a fish's skull.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Brett and ynot  Thanks for the anatomy lesson. Finally I know! Appreciate your taking the time to respond. TFF is great thanks to folks like you.