Real Mosasaur jaw?

DatFossilBoy

Hello,

I saw this jaw on the Internet and I was wondering if it was real (because it is being sold for very cheap)

To me the jaw looks ok compared to other fake jaws, but the teeth look a bit weird...

These are the only two pictures I have.

What do you think?

Regards 

BB9CADFD-2185-4CE6-B470-94FC99DC9C17.jpeg

CB6F29C9-FB78-4DF0-970E-D178419DAE17.jpeg

I'm certainly no genius but to me it looks like he took a real jaw bone and real teeth and combined them. I believe they call these Frankenstein-asaurus. But let the mosasaurs masters give you a better answer. :)

• I found this Informative 3

It looks a little suspicious. There does seem to be a real jaw here, or at least part of one. But the joins between the roots and tooth crowns look a bit suspicious. So it doesn't look completely fake, but definitely a little iffy. But there is potential here that it might still be worth it. So if you think it's really cheap (think of it in terms of separate items, as in 4 teeth and maybe a partial jaw without teeth), is it worth it in your mind? If so, then it might still be worth picking up. Otherwise, it's a bit of a gamble, so passing this up also makes sense.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

8 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

It looks a little suspicious. There does seem to be a real jaw here, or at least part of one. But the joins between the roots and tooth crowns look a bit suspicious. So it doesn't look completely fake, but definitely a little iffy. But there is potential here that it might still be worth it. So if you think it's really cheap (think of it in terms of separate items, as in 4 teeth and maybe a partial jaw without teeth), is it worth it in your mind? If so, then it might still be worth picking up. Otherwise, it's a bit of a gamble, so passing this up also makes sense.

Yeah I’m not too sure...

Going to wait for 1 or 2 more answers to see other opinions.

Thank you a lot for your advice (everyone)

Regards

I agree. This jaw is not real, but a compound made with real teeth, usually using original matrix powder with low percentage of plaster or cement. Unfortunately assemblies like this are quite common in Morocco. Below, I put as an example to compare a real jaw that is deposited in my particular collection;

image.png

• I found this Informative 4

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

I agree with all the others, not worth it, since it looks iffy and is.

Save your money for better pieces. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I'm fairly confident that those are genuine bits of jaw bone, but it doesn't look like the jaw and the teeth belong together.

So very interesting.  I was in a rock shop today and saw some similar ones.  So I asked about them.  The answer is just like the ones you just received.  The bone is real.  Maybe it could be a Mosasaur or maybe not in this case.  The teeth are added and the matrix is a mix of a plaster or motor with matrix dust added to the top. So as long as you understand what you are getting and you like it and now understand how it is fabricated and you like the price, then it is your decision. It is a representation of one. But not as real as one may think. 

• I found this Informative 1

On 1-3-2018 at 6:31 PM, Troodon said:

Looks like a composite with real mosasaur teeth.  Bone is real not sure its mosasaur.

exactly.