Unknown imprint

Sizev_McJol

You guys sick of my threads yet? :P Sorry, there’s a lot more to come. Here is an interesting surface which features may be purely natural erosion or a fossil imprint. Coral maybe? Almost looks like fossil rain drops, eh? Any clue if it’s organic in origin? From northern Illinois. 

F8174668-82F9-4EB3-AEB5-98B46BF340AE.jpeg

56CEF8C3-4996-490D-93C5-45AE370ACD62.jpeg

B149F9D2-8AE7-4BA0-9C75-B6453276379C.jpeg

6A20925C-BEF6-47D2-818B-67CD36CC779A.jpeg

Hm. I would wager it is non-organic in origin. If it were, for example, the impression of a brachiopod death assemblage, there would be more uniform and recognizable diagnostic details.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Looks like cement that was rained on while setting to me. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

I've seen a very similar shelf-like rock at one area nearby, and it is a kind of sandy-clay rock. Hard, but possibly more recent in origin. I apologize for not having pictures as I've generally pitched it aside, but it is a consistent, thin layer with these "droplets." I'll have to remember to record those when we are not under threat of imminent snowfall!

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

40 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes, it does look that way, but it isn’t cement. 

38 minutes ago, Kane said:

I've seen a very similar shelf-like rock at one area nearby, and it is a kind of sandy-clay rock. Hard, but possibly more recent in origin. I apologize for not having pictures as I've generally pitched it aside, but it is a consistent, thin layer with these "droplets." I'll have to remember to record those when we are not under threat of imminent snowfall!

So these may indeed be water droplets? Cool. But how old could it be? We may never know...