Spinosaurus Caudal vertebra

DatFossilBoy

Hello,

This is my 7cm long Spinosaurus Caudal vertebra that I bought from an auction site.

It is from Morocco. I have some doubt on the fact that it is from Spinosaurus, if not,what could it be?

As you can see,it has been repaired.

What do you think? Fingers crossed:fingerscrossed:

Regards

FEAC74C7-A875-43CA-971C-0F1ED41800FC.jpeg

9695F675-417A-42BD-8030-759DCA9037F1.jpeg

I saw this one on the internet as well. It looks a little rough. But yeah it's real. And it does look like a Spinosaurid caudal vertebra. But caudal Spinosaurid vertebrae cannot really be identified to genus level. If it's Spinosaurid, it could be either Spinosaurus or Sigilmassasaurus.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

A bit fragmented, but still quite recognizable and a great piece! I have no doubt that it is worthy for any collection! ;)

Only through these photos I'm not sure, but I do not think this is part of the original matrix:

image.png.6f68f72c0a91a806e6189da3300502e1.png

I think it was glued to Moroccan fashion, ie sand with glue, but still the restoration was excellent, as there is nothing wrong or composed here, but yes, it is original! :D

As it has been said, in Kem Kem's beds occurs Spinosaurus and Sigilmassasaurus, so it is difficult to determine which of them his Caudal vertebrae belongs with exactness, perhaps with further excavations in the future we may know these two species of spinosaurids more deeply, but for now I I would feel more comfortable labeling as being a Caudal vertebra of an indeterminate Spinosaurid.

By the time this bone was whole, maybe it should have looked similar to this:

image.png.e6460de170392f37eea6be96ffce2b76.png

I do not know if you bought from the seller I'm thinking. But if you bought him, then you are a brave man, for this salesman often confuses vertebrae of spinosaurids with crocodilian vertebrae ... But he is a good geologist!

When purchasing a specimen for your collection cost more than usual, then the good advice is to always ask and then buy. Except when you already have at least 90% certainty about what you are buying. ;)

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

8 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

A bit fragmented, but still quite recognizable and a great piece! I have no doubt that it is worthy for any collection! ;)

Only through these photos I'm not sure, but I do not think this is part of the original matrix:

image.png.6f68f72c0a91a806e6189da3300502e1.png

I think it was glued to Moroccan fashion, ie sand with glue, but still the restoration was excellent, as there is nothing wrong or composed here, but yes, it is original! :D

As it has been said, in Kem Kem's beds occurs Spinosaurus and Sigilmassasaurus, so it is difficult to determine which of them his Caudal vertebrae belongs with exactness, perhaps with further excavations in the future we may know these two species of spinosaurids more deeply, but for now I I would feel more comfortable labeling as being a Caudal vertebra of an indeterminate Spinosaurid.

By the time this bone was whole, maybe it should have looked similar to this:

image.png.e6460de170392f37eea6be96ffce2b76.png

I do not know if you bought from the seller I'm thinking. But if you bought him, then you are a brave man, for this salesman often confuses vertebrae of spinosaurids with crocodilian vertebrae ... But he is a good geologist!

When purchasing a specimen for your collection cost more than usual, then the good advice is to always ask and then buy. Except when you already have at least 90% certainty about what you are buying. ;)

Thanks a lot for your message! Its really helpful.

No I did not buy this piece from the geologist we both think of.

The darker line is a réparation between left and right pieces.

Regards

Archived