michele 1937

P3010006.thumb.JPG.fe08e95fc43fcc02d405ea1c1dcc3c7b.JPG

chiedo collaborazione per la classificazione

Green River Formation, Middle Eocene
Wyoming (USA). dimensioni 15,5 x 10,5 cm.

I request collaboration for classification

Green River Formation, Middle Eocene
Wyoming (USA). dimensions: 15,5 x 10,5 cm.

P3010007.JPG

E' un pezzo bellissimo, a prescindere. La mia unica congettura sarebbe: pino. Fossi in te, manderei la foto a Fossil Butte National Monument. (La pagina non e' del tutto user-friendly, ma cerca un po' e troverai il modulo per contattargli direttamente.) Sono loro i veri esperti. So, pero', che lo studio e classifica delle piante della Green River Formation rimane molto indietro rispetto ai pesci e altri vertebrati.

It's a beautiful piece in any case. My only guess would be: pine. If I were you, I'd send the photo to the  Fossil Butte National Monument. (Their page isn't completely user-friendly, but if you search around, you'll find the direct contact form.) They're the real experts. I do know, though, that the study and classification of Green River Formation plants lags quite a bit behind in comparison to fish and other invertebrates.

https://twitter.com/Fossil_News

The "InvertebrateMe" blog
http://invertebrateme.wordpress.com

Un altro pensiero: Conosci il gruppo FB "Green River Formation Fossils"? Se carichi la foto li', sarei sopreso se non ricevessi una risposto tra meno di un giorno. Sarei tentato di farlo io, ma aspetto il tuo via libera.

Another thought; Do you know the FB group "Green River Formation Fossils"? If you upload the photo to them, I'd be surprised if you didn't get an answer in less than a day. I'd be tempted to do it myself, but I'll wait for your go-ahead.

https://twitter.com/Fossil_News

The "InvertebrateMe" blog
http://invertebrateme.wordpress.com

This one is puzzling, according to a couple of colleagues specializing in Green River paleobotany:

"I'm not sure.  It looks a bit like Ceratophyllum but I cannot tell if the leaves are in true whorls."

"Interesting, not Ceratophyllum I think.  Odd right angle sheathing leaves or glumes.  May be a grass spike."

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

i have spent a lot of time looking for this in the last day . 

Whatever it is, it's something special. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Listening the song 'Scarborough Fair - Simon&Garfunkel' with the line " parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme ", I'm inspired to think that it could be rosemary .

Of corse, one would say " you forgot the fir (Abies) ".

Then, I wake up my mind and think about the more spiny juniper .

High-resolution close-up images might help in the exclusion of possibilities.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 9:25 PM, Wendell Ricketts said:

E 'un pezzo bellissimo, un prescindere. La mia unica congettura sarebbe: pino. Fossi in te, manderei la foto a Fossil Butte National Monument. (La pagina non e 'del tutto user-friendly, ma stai un e il modulo per contattargli direttamente.) Sono loro i veri esperti. Quindi, pero ', che lo studio e classifica delle piante della Green River Formation rimane molto indietro rispetto ai pesci e altri vertebrati.

In ogni caso è un bel pezzo. La mia unica ipotesi sarebbe: pino. Se fossi in te, manderei la foto al Fossil Butte National Monument. (La loro pagina non è completamente user-friendly, ma se cerchi in giro, troverai il modulo di contatto diretto.) Sono i veri esperti. So, però, che lo studio e la classificazione delle piante di Green River Formation è in ritardo rispetto a pesci e altri invertebrati.

Wendell

II wrote to Fossil Butte National Monument

but he did not answer

can you help me please?

Michele

2 hours ago, michele 1937 said:

Wendell

II wrote to Fossil Butte National Monument

but he did not answer

can you help me please?

Michele

Try e-mailing Arvid Aase at Fossil Butte.  He's usually good at responding to emails.  If he can't help directly, he can refer you to someone who can.  I'll PM you his email.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 9:25 PM, Wendell Ricketts said:

E' un pezzo bellissimo, a prescindere. La mia unica congettura sarebbe: pino. Fossi in te, manderei la foto a Fossil Butte National Monument. (La pagina non e' del tutto user-friendly, ma cerca un po' e troverai il modulo per contattargli direttamente.) Sono loro i veri esperti. So, pero', che lo studio e classifica delle piante della Green River Formation rimane molto indietro rispetto ai pesci e altri vertebrati.

It's a beautiful piece in any case. My only guess would be: pine. If I were you, I'd send the photo to the  Fossil Butte National Monument. (Their page isn't completely user-friendly, but if you search around, you'll find the direct contact form.) They're the real experts. I do know, though, that the study and classification of Green River Formation plants lags quite a bit behind in comparison to fish and other invertebrates.

I wrote to Fossil Butte National Monument  and FB " Green River Formation Fossils
..I have not had any answer.
Thank you for help