MARCH 2018 - Finds of the Month - Entries

Fossildude19

March is coming in like a Lion, for some of us in the Northeastern US. 

The pounding rain insures we won't be fossil-hunting for a few days, at the very least!

But others around the country or world can get out there and make some fantastic finds. 

I suggest you do so! :) 

Remember...PLEASE carefully read all of the rules below, ... make sure you include all the required information, in the requested format,

and submit your fossil! 

If you have a question about a possible entry, please send me a PM. 

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for Prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds. Best of success to all, and good hunting!

Entries will be taken until midnight on March 31st.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you. NO PURCHASED FOSSILS.
2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per contest category.)
3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or most of the significant Preparation of your Fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.
4. You must include the Date of your Discovery (when found in the contest month); or the Date of Preparation Completion and Discovery date (if not found in the contest month).
5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest.
6. You must include the common or scientific name.
7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.
8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the Fossil was found.
9. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. 

So, only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll. 

*******Please use the following format for the required information:*******

Date of discovery

Scientific or Common name

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation

State, Province, or Region found

Photos (if prepped, before and after photos, please.)

Photos of the winning specimens may be posted to TFF's Facebook page.

Once the Contest Submission period has ended, after all the votes are tallied, and the Polls for both categories are closed, we will know the two winning Finds of the Month for MARCH 2018 !  

Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!

Good luck! :D

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 featured this topic

Hi Guys,

I am going to post two new vertebrates and two new invertebrates. :)

The first is one of my best invertebrates:

Date of finding: 2nd March 2018

Taxon: Receptaculites  Fisherites sp. green algae

Location: Juodikiai quarry, Klaipeda district (Northeastern Lithuania, Baltic Stes. 

S7302787.JPG

Please vote if you like it :D 

Best Regards

Domas

The second is the best my sea urchin ever found (I found it two days ago):

Date of finding: 1st March 2018

Taxon: Echinocorys sp. (the diameter is 8,5 cm) 

Age: Late Cretaceous (found as erratic, unsplited and unprepped!)

Echinocorys sea urchin, Late Cretaceous.JPG

And finally, two vertebrates found in recent days.

Date Of finding: 1st March 2018

Taxon: Ichthyodectiformes (bulldog fish) scale.

ichthyodectiformes 2.jpg

And the last vertebrate.

Date of finding: 1st March, 2018

Taxon: Rhizodontidae gnathal plate

rhizodont jaw.jpg

Cast your vote if you like this! :D 

Best Regards

Domas

Hey all, this isn't the place to talk about your plans and the FOTM you hope to find.  This is where you show the great fossils you have already collected (bearing in mind the rules of course).

Don

On 3/3/2018 at 5:45 AM, D.N.FossilmanLithuania said:

The first is one of my best invertebrates:

Taxon: Receptaculites sp. green algae

Date of finding: 2nd March 2018

Location: Juodikiai quarry, Klaipeda district (Northeastern Lithuania, Baltic Stes. 

S7302787.JPG

The genus Receptaculites is restricted to the Devonian.  All the 'Receptaculites' from the Ordovician are now classified as: Fisherites

"The best-known receptaculitids are the Ordovician to Carboniferous family Receptaculitidae, which in the Ordovician consists of a single genus, Fisherites, with nine species ranging from TS.2c through 6b.  They are the largest receptaculitids known and are widely distributed in limestones and dolomites.  Their wide geographic distribution is comparable to that of soanitids, except that the concentration of their distribution is in central North America.  They are also found in the Canadian Arctic, Greenland, Baltoscandia, Burma, North Korea, Thailand, and the Argentine Precordillera but have not been reported from China."

Nitecki, M.H., Webby, B.D., Spjeldnaes, N., & Yong-Yi, Z. (2004)

Receptaculitids and algae. 

In: Webby, B.D., Paris, F., Droser, M.L., & Percival, I.G. (eds.)

The Great Ordovician Biodiversification Event.

Columbia University Press, 484 pp.

The classification of receptaculitids is not algae or sponge, it is still unresolved Problematica.

"We know that we have succeeded only in showing that receptaculitids were neither sponges, archaeocyathids, nor dasyclads, because the cumulative receptaculitid characters are not those of sponges or of algae. It is surely premature to ask what they were-we must still wait to know that. We are far from providing final answers, but we hope that others will be stimulated to ask new questions, and to accept receptaculitids as more than the sum of their characters. The preponderant lesson from our morphological analyses has shown us that complete understanding of the nature of the receptaculitids is not yet possible; therefore, in order to build a strong case on the nature of receptaculitids we either had to endlessly speculate, or admit our ignorance. The German idioms and expressions have changed since Rauff wrote (1892a:648), and the current rendition of his conclusions as shown in our Dedication (p. v) may now be rephrased. We now believe that we do not know enough to be definitive, and have been left no choice but to follow Rauff in retaining receptaculitids in the Problematica."

(Translation of Rauff 1892a:648)

"My investigation on the true nature of receptaculitids has had the painful result of again evicting these interesting fossils from their taxonomic position, and setting them adrift once more. Perhaps my observations on their most extraordinary structures will help some luckier, more informed person discover their true affinities. It is this hope which has caused me to publish this work even without its most important conclusion; at least it may serve as a basis for further analysis. Receptaculitids are again removed from their taxonomic position, without resolving their systematics, and it is hoped that the present paper will form the bases for future phylogenetic analyses." 

Nitecki, M.H., Mutvei, H., & Nitecki, D.V. (1999)

Receptaculitids: a phylogenetic debate on a problematic fossil taxon.

Springer Scientific Publishing, 241 pp.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I’ve never posted anything for fossil of the month. I’ll give it a go with my Oxy I found on March 3, 18 in Grayson county Texas. The geologic map calls it Washita group, because so many layers are present in the strata. The Rockd app called it Duck Creek. I found it near the bottom of a lot of exposed strata in something of a transitional layer so it is either early Duck Creek Formation or Kiamichi. I don’t think Oxy show up in the Duck Creek. So it could be late Kiamichi, but it sure looked like Duck Creek around there.

Here is my Oxytropidoceras elaboratum elaboratum in the buff, as I found it. The whorl breadth is 50 mm near the aperture. The diameter is 268 mm.

Found on March 3, 18

Oxytropidoceras elaboratum elaboratum ammonite.

Early Cretaceous, probably Kiamichi Formation

Grayson County, Texas.

8E7F19C4-2DF2-4721-9A84-895B313E3888.thumb.jpeg.b437be49fb34de1f5b5f18aaa38b7167.jpeg

1C0F93FA-CEBF-41E6-BDFA-C7E36B373CB7.thumb.jpeg.ec0b43625d1ea998dbc8354a669631be.jpeg

1187BD2B-F8B4-4CB5-B938-129AB7BA7946.thumb.jpeg.5622d023362d67d3acf17f82a54a7ac4.jpeg

@KimTexan wow! huge! :ammonite01:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Hey guys, first FOM post here, so i hope I'm doing this right!

Date when found: March 4th, 2018

Mammut Americanum. partial tooth.

IMG_0434.PNG

If I need to correct anything do let me know!

-Terry

Heating up much faster than it did in Feb (figuratively and very literally!) :dinosmile:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

1 hour ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Heating up much faster than it did in Feb (figuratively and very literally!) :dinosmile:

Well Feb. was a short month.

Those extra days can make a world of difference.

I'll toss my hat in the ring. Possibly the first Pterousar limb bone to be found at the North Sulphur River Texas. 

Found 3/8/18

Pterousar Limb Bone

North Sulphur River Texas

Cretaceous Ozan FM

28700732_10209554419377826_724487556556551065_o.jpg

28827909_10209554418817812_5757918725786832262_o.jpg

28828070_10209554418537805_7222230461800677146_o.jpg

28699357_10209554393497179_6141257260172146756_o.jpg

On 3/6/2018 at 11:30 PM, KimTexan said:

I’ve never posted anything for fossil of the month. I’ll give it a go with my Oxy I found on March 3, 18 in Grayson county Texas. The geologic map calls it Washita group, because so many layers are present in the strata. The Rockd app called it Duck Creek. I found it near the bottom of a lot of exposed strata in something of a transitional layer so it is either early Duck Creek Formation or Kiamichi. I don’t think Oxy show up in the Duck Creek. So it could be late Kiamichi, but it sure looked like Duck Creek around there.

Here is my Oxytropidoceras elaboratum elaboratum in the buff, as I found it. The whorl breadth is 50 mm near the aperture. The diameter is 268 mm.

Very nice

On 3/6/2018 at 11:30 PM, KimTexan said:

Hello Kim, nice find!

I need to ask you to please put the pertinent information in the format outlined in the rules. ;) 

Date of discovery

Thanks. :)

On 3/8/2018 at 11:59 PM, JarrodB said:

I'll toss my hat in the ring. Possibly the first Pterousar limb bone to be found at the North Sulphur River Texas. 

Pterousar Limb Bone

Cretaceous Ozan 

Jarrod, can you please add the date of your discovery? 

Thanks. :) 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

20 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Hello Kim, nice find!

I need to ask you to please put the pertinent information in the format outlined in the rules. ;) 

Thanks. :)

Got it. Thanks

Jarrod, can you please add the date of your discovery? 

39 minutes ago, JarrodB said:

Thanks, Jarrod. :) 

Dear Guys,

Please let me know- should I post my Fisherites fossil photo with new name for the second time? :)

Best Regards

Domas

On 3/9/2018 at 6:10 AM, JarrodB said:

Very nice

Jarrod yours should totally win. That is the coolest NSR find. My favorite prehistoric animal when I was a kid was a Pterodactyl. I thought they were so cool. So, I think your find is a special one. Congratulations on such a cool find mister. I’m happy and excited for you.

On 3/11/2018 at 1:32 AM, D.N.FossilmanLithuania said:

Dear Guys,

Please let me know- should I post my Fisherites fossil photo with new name for the second time? :)

Best Regards

Domas

Not necessary.  :) 

On 3/9/2018 at 10:31 AM, Fossildude19 said:

Hello Kim, nice find!

Date of discovery

Sorry, I didn’t realize there was a particular format for the posting. 

March 3, 2018

Oxytropidoceras elaboratum elaboratum

Cretaceous, Washita group, lower Duck Creek most likely.

Grayson county, Texas

I haven’t done anything to prep it. It’s kind of fragile. It seems to be a cast (steinkern) of shale and cleaning it kind of washes away the features.

1948EA6D-DAF3-42E7-B66B-10519304B746.jpeg

0B2CBE6A-EE23-4802-B362-5988E3EAF0B8.jpeg

1B423FEE-31AA-491C-AC0C-1C848C3365C0.jpeg

15 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Sorry, I didn’t realize there was a particular format for the posting. 

March 3, 3018

Your about 1000 years early on Your entry!:hearty-laugh:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

8 minutes ago, ynot said:

Your about 1000 years early on Your entry!:hearty-laugh:

Oops thanks for pointing that out. Fixed it.

Date Found : 25 October 2017

Majority of Preparation: March 2018. 

Scientific Name : Asaphiscus wheeleri

Geologic Age and Formation: Middle Cambrian, Wheeler Shale

Length: 2.0 inches / 5.1 centimeters

I thought this was nothing and kept it in my junk pile, but when I uncovered it, it was mostly all there! There is a bit of restoration (mostly to repair when I was too aggressive with the air scribe) but it's ~90% authentic. 

kUzvW20.jpgEFaFEa8.jpgA0vmJhe.jpgEo9FGXd.jpg

Archived