Can somebody help me identify/tell me the price of this fossil?

kingpotatoman

I live in Ohio and my friends and I were walking down at a pond and one of them found some sort of trilobite fossil. If anybody can give me the possible price of this or any information of it would be appreciated. ALSO I have found some sort of shell, I have no clue if it was a fossilized animal, seashell, or just a rock but please give information on that aswell. 

9571E9AE-5AC0-4B06-9338-3C13CCF05374.jpeg

F393934E-5952-4849-B4B7-BB65EC0B8A6F.jpeg

9E5CB649-8089-46A1-A384-A93D4898A7DC.jpeg

Top one is a trilobite. Unfortunately the forum does not allow appraisals but you can look on some websites to see what some people sell theirs for.

The bottom one looks like it may be horn coral.

I don't know about the trilobite...but the minimum value of that 1943 quarter is about $3.15!  That's from back when the United States still made coins out of real silver!

-Joe

• I found this Informative 2

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

9 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

I don't know about the trilobite...but the minimum value of that 1943 quarter is about $3.15!  That's from back when the United States still made coins out of real silver!

-Joe

I know I collect coins I just had it lying around instead of a modern quarter haha

Pieces of Eight! 

Pieces of Eight! 

Shiver me timbers, me hearties! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Where in Ohio was this found? It's the internal mold of a trilobite pygidium, (tail lobe). It looks like it could be a Paladin sp. from the Mississippian period, but I'm not very familiar with all of the trilobites in Ohio. Others would be better suited to weigh in on the particulars.

Second one is definitely a worn horn coral in my opinion.

Oh, and welcome to TFF!!!

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

33 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

I'm curious for my own edification. 

So selfish of you, what about everyone else’s edification? Did you ever think about that!?!:P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

Lol! I guess I was only thinking of myself :/

Don’t worry, I forgive you;):P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Judging by the pygidial border and the wide, flared axis, Paladin might be a very good guess (the axis is too broad to be Ditomopyge). 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Of course we're not allowed to make estimates, but I can tell you right now that it's not worth much, just to save you the trouble.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

17 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

@piranha,what are your thoughts on this one? I'm curious for my own edification. 

Northeastern-eastern Ohio has about a dozen proetid species of Mississippian / Pennsylvanian trilobites.

We need to count the pygidial ribs and axial rings.  It is poorly preserved, so I would label it: Proetidae sp. 

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

8 minutes ago, piranha said:

Northeastern-eastern Ohio has about a dozen proetid species of Mississippian / Pennsylvanian trilobites.

We need to count the pygidial ribs and axial rings.  It is poorly preserved, so I would label it: Proetidae sp. 

Thanks!

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA