Megalodon Teeth

LiamL

I bought these from my friend who got these from an auction years ago. He didnt know much about them.

Can anybody tell me where these are most likely from due to the colours?

Also if you see any obvious signs of repair you could let me know.

2.jpeg

6.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Can’t say for certain as all colors are represented in multiple sites but I’d say it’s more likely then not that they are from the eastern seaboard of America.

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

6 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Can’t say for certain as all colors are represented in multiple sites but I’d say it’s more likely then not that they are from the eastern seaboard of America.

Is the white bits on the roots of the larger one from the bottom of the sea? Maybe it was a dive find.

11 minutes ago, LiamL said:

Is the white bits on the roots of the larger one from the bottom of the sea? Maybe it was a dive find.

Or maybe a river, in any case the white bits are barnacle attachment points.

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Or maybe a river, in any case the white bits are barnacle attachment points.

That reinforces authenticity! :)

I'm getting a weird feeling about the larger one. I could be wrong, but to my eyes, the whole thing looks like it's sculpted.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

These two two section looks weird. too flat and different color with other side. Just my opinion. 

제목 없음.jpg

5 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I'm getting a weird feeling about the larger one. I could be wrong, but to my eyes, the whole thing looks like it's sculpted.

oh no, i hope not

Is it totally fake or real with some repairs? 

Just now, LiamL said:

Is it totally fake or real with some repairs? 

I’d say (with my uneducated eye) that there may be some repairs, but they are real, because who would put barnacles on a fake?

• I found this Informative 1

Happy hunting,

Mason

I suspect the larger tooth is heavily restored rather than totally fake, but its difficult to say.

I think those barnacle scars are painted on as well.

I see inconsistent paint job on throughout the root. Especially where root meets with enamal and in cracks. Those lines/cracks that run down the enamel normally on the lingual face are represented on the labial side along with what seems to be a burlette.

I could be completely wrong here, but this is what I am seeing.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Some close ups of the root,

I suspected some repairs, i just hope it's not totally fabricated.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

24 minutes ago, caldigger said:

those barnacle scars are painted on as well.

You are right! Those pictures prove it, why would you paint on a flaw? Guess to trick people. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 hours ago, ynot said:

Take a look at it under ultraviolet light. That will often show if it has repairs or not.

I'm curious, how will the UV light show the repairs?

23 minutes ago, Cthulhu2 said:

I'm curious, how will the UV light show the repairs?

The man made material used to repair will show a different color under the UV than a natural material.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I think the larger tooth has been very heavily repaired and not very well, but is real. As common as megalodon teeth are, why would someone fake them, especially with such a poorly done job. 

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

7 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

@Reptilia and @mattbsharks both repair meg teeth. What are your views gentlemen?

thanks for asking John! I can say with almost 100% certainty multiple things. 1 is that the tan tooth is all natural. the second is that the bigger tooth is a real tooth and not a replica, and is also heavily restored with some clear gloss painted over the entire fossil. I can tell you it's not a replica for multiple reasons, but the most simple is that it isn't cost effective for someone to make a replica in this condition, they would choose a fully complete one. again the tan tooth is very nice and you should be happy with it!

• I found this Informative 3