Fossil ID Quiz

oldtimer

So I found the very interesting specimen.  I actually know what it is but am not going to give up the name yet.

I want to see if some of you know what it is and where it may have come from. I know a few may know what it is right off.

It is almost 2 feet in diameter. If you do know what it is right off please hold off your answer for a little while to give others the chance to guess.

Whorl.jpg.ab822c3d87fe97534cb0f0205150e376.jpg 

The Tooth-whorl of a Helicoprion? I don't have a clue what the location would be.

Helicoprion for me like gigantoraptor but I don't know its origin. OK ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I agree with tooth-whorl of Helicoprion. As for the location, the choices could be Idaho, Texas, California, Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Mexico, Canada, Ural Mountains, West Australia, and China.

I feel like this could most likely be from Idaho, Wyoming, or Utah, but just a far guess.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Oh, so when you say you found, it, you didn't mean that you found it, say at a garage sale, but that you found it in a museum display.  OK, I retract my statement about someone missing a specimen.  

Lincoln County, huh?  I have not heard of them being found there... might have to look into it.  The geology map shows minimal rocks of the right age in Lincoln County.  I'll put that down on my list of thousands of other things to look into around here.  

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Fossil ID Quiz

Archived