American Museum of Natural History

HamptonsDoc

I took a trip last week to one of my favorite museums in the world, New York’s American Museum of Natural History. This museum is a must for any fossil lover when in New York. My pictures do it no justice and most of my pictures didnt come out because of glare from the sun on the glass displays, but here is a quick look of what is inside. 

PS- if you go onto google maps and use the street view function you can take a virtual tour of most of the museum. The fossils are on the fourth floor. 

A07A54D1-F72F-4DE2-93E5-8D0887D7199D.thumb.jpeg.61d0c1a74b0699f0046130a41153d34f.jpeg

FE8A8FCE-4622-4DE3-A689-E6BCD8B5C719.thumb.jpeg.2b6420dae1df32d841377c6614bc7db2.jpeg

A70754C2-97E4-4B03-8BE9-29FCBB0D6882.thumb.jpeg.fbe6c00bb372efc80eaeafb1152b23f7.jpegA0BB6F53-E7B7-4A5E-A617-6F2B02E1730D.thumb.jpeg.0ed10b9141ad1ee0936762ad6d1303c8.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Love this museum thanks for the tour.  Take anything home :ighappy: 

Just an overpriced t-shirt!

Surprisingly only one real egg on display...all the rest were casts.

10 minutes ago, HamptonsDoc said:

Just an overpriced t-shirt!

Surprisingly only one real egg on display...all the rest were casts.

I have a couple of shirts from there.  Bummer on the eggs.

Hi,

Nice ! :wub:

Just a question : why the French flag is next to the American one ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

2 minutes ago, Coco said:

Just a question : why the French flag is next to the American one ?

Coco

Hm. I wonder if that is actually the flag of New York City (blue, white, and orange). It was modelled on the Dutch flag given the city's origins. Can anyone else confirm?

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks for posting! 

What wonderful pictures. 

The flags look orange, not red, so my guess is the New York Flag too. 

Image result for new york flag

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Thanks for posting! 

What wonderful pictures. 

The flags look orange, not red, so my guess is the New York Flag too. 

Image result for new york flag

This is the flag of New York City. It is derived from the Dutch flag. You are right Kane.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

OK, thanks ! ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Thanks for the photos. That Barosaurus in the rotunda is incredible! That place just gets better and better. 

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2018 at 3:13 AM, caldigger said:

Just looks like a bunch of suggestivly shaped rocks. :wub:

Silly pseudofossils :P

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Some amazing specimens! Thanks for sharing @HamptonsDoc!

I really hope to get the opportunity to visit this museum once too. But thanks in any case for the awesome preview. 

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

@Coco @Kane @Tidgy's Dad @Darktooth

I had no clue that this was the New York flag, and when I first saw it I also thought it was a blemished French flag. 

I do have to say that this flag looks more like the French flag than the modern Dutch flag:

French                                                                                       Dutch

Image result for french flag                     Image result for dutch flag

Not only are the New York stripes vertical like the French one (and unlike the Dutch one), but the color order is also more similar. Blue-White-Red for French, with Blue-White-Orange (= Red) for New York, when the Dutch flag is inverted: Red-White-Blue. So I really do understand Coco's confusion. 

But actually, when doing further research, I realized that the New York flag is indeed inspired by the Dutch one. But not by the one above. It is inspired by The Dutch Prince's Flag (rarely seen nowadays):

900px-Prinsenvlag.svg.png

The colors are the same. And the Wiki page also says that this is the flag that inspired that inspired the New York flag. 

I guess that this explains it :) 

Max Derème

When I go to NYC (which isn't too often) I like to see how many of the fossils are from Wyoming.  Clue:  it is a lot.  (I bought a used Suburban from the AMNH and they used to use it for collecting trips to Wyoming.  They have spent a lot of time here).  

One of my rancher buddies once told me... "JP, there's something dreadfully wrong if I find myself in New York City"  I thought that was hilarious.  And so Wyomingy. 

7 hours ago, jpc said:

When I go to NYC (which isn't too often) I like to see how many of the fossils are from Wyoming.  Clue:  it is a lot.  (I bought a used Suburban from the AMNH and they used to use it for collecting trips to Wyoming.  They have spent a lot of time here).  

One of my rancher buddies once told me... "JP, there's something dreadfully wrong if I find myself in New York City"  I thought that was hilarious.  And so Wyomingy. 

As  child I lived within walking distance of that museum where I became enamoured with Dinosaurs.  Very cool place

• 1 month later...

Havent been there in a long time, but this certainly makes me a bit hungry for a return trip!

• 4 weeks later...

One of my favorite museums... these pictures are really great!l, all the detail’s there!

Archived