Canadian ammonites

caldigger

I recently got this plate off of you know which auction site. I thought it looked interesting, but the seller claims ignorance of any information about it other than it is from Canada.

Any help on I'D for this piece? It looks like two different ammonite spieces in here.

20180303_192016.jpg

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

20180303_192054.jpg

20180303_192130.jpg

20180303_192159.jpg

The shale looks a lot like the German Holzmaden shales. It is actually much darker charcoal black than it looks in my photos.

The one in the top left of first pics has a bit (very faint) of flash/fire to it.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

It looks just like a piece I got, said to be Holzmaden also, so I think you're right about that.

I wish sellers would be more informative (and not wrong so often) about their wares.

I'm pretty sure that Wrangellian has it right. That looks suspiciously like a plate from the lower Jurassic Toarcian at Holzmaden with Dactylioceras and Harpoceras ammonites. Maybe the seller picked it up in Canada, but I'm pretty sure that the previous owner retrieved it from Germany.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

OK, no wonder I couldn't find anything that looked close when checking images on the net.

She sells out of Tucson, so she probably just got it at one of the shows and guessed at a location.

My other Holzmaden plate only has Harpoceras on it so this one with two different suits me just fine.

Thanks everybody for your educated input. You all get a gold star today!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 minute ago, caldigger said:

OK, no wonder I couldn't find anything that looked close when checking images on the net.

She sells out of Tucson, so she probably just got it at one of the shows and guessed at a location.

My other Holzmaden plate only has Harpoceras on it so this one with two different suits me just fine.

Thanks everybody for your educated input. You all get a gold star today!

I agree with the others. 

And it's a nice plate. 

So can I have a gold star too, please? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Of course Adam, you are always a shining star in our eyes!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Probably from Holzmaden, here is my Ammonite mortality plate from Holzmaden as an example;)

image.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).