Cretaceous Shell

sharko69

Found this shell while in the creek this weekend. I have never found a shell like this in all my time in North Texas creeks so this seems out of place. Has matrix stuck to it and inside that matches what is present where I hunt. It is fossil and has some spots that look like calsite or some other crystal. Any ideas?

06B459B0-ED8D-4B5D-BE61-B17808CCB4A6.jpeg

786AC3B5-67A9-4E46-9262-8DD32E7625A1.jpeg

1128B921-F514-4B31-909F-1576EEF9E390.jpeg

Nice find! 

But i don't know of any Cretaceous gastropods that look like this, hopefully somebody else knows the area better. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Cancellariid (maybe Cancellaria) will be my guess.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Cancellariid (maybe Cancellaria) will be my guess.

Thank you. Were they found in the Cretaceous?

I see that Cancellaria did exist in the late Cretaceous but have never seen any Gastropoda with this preservation where I hunt. This was found in Eagle Ford in N. Central TX.

1 minute ago, HansTheLoser said:

I doubt that it is Cretaceous.

I don’t disagree but this was found in situ and is in matrix, same as the teeth from this area. 

And the teeth is clearly Cretaceous? Any other fossils? The preservaction is quite good and the gastropod looks "more modern". But who knows. Could be also a Buccinidae.

45 minutes ago, HansTheLoser said:

And the teeth is clearly Cretaceous? Any other fossils? The preservaction is quite good and the gastropod looks "more modern". But who knows. Could be also a Buccinidae.

Yes. This is from Post  Oak creek. Teeth are Cretaceous. There is some Pleistocene mammal material found as well. Could have washed many years ago and imbedded. But matrix is on it like concrete.

I have doubt being it from Cretaceous. :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived