Have these mosasaur teeth been added?

Yes, you can see a different color matrix (grout) around the base of the teeth than what is represented In the matrix of the slab.

Maybe not all, but definitely a few are added.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

To me they look like they have been added on.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Short answer, yes, some, but not all.

Long answer:

Some of the teeth definitely have been added in. But it looks like this is not the case for all of them. This looks like a partial left lower jaw (dentary with possibly some remains of the splenial). The front of the jaw is pointing towards the right end of the photos, so I'll be counting from the right to the left.

Tooth 1

The root is real and there appears to be a replacement tooth coming out. The crown of the tooth has been composited in. (on a side note, I can see a Squalicorax tooth to the right of this tooth in the matrix)

Tooth 2

This one looks completely real. Nothing wrong with it.

Tooth 3

Another composited crown. But again there does seem to be a real root left in the jaw itself.

Tooth 4

This one, like the second tooth shows no red flags at all. It seems to be completely real.

Tooth 5

Like the other composited teeth, the smudgy plaster can be seen in the join between the root and tooth crown. This one is composited.

Tooth 6

This is the only one I can't tell from the photos whether it's composited or not. It looks like it might be original, but I can't be sure without better photos. Perhaps you could post a nice closeup of this tooth?

Overall, a fairly nice jaw with some composited teeth, but some real ones as well. The teeth that are composited in actually don't look too bad as it seems they've chosen teeth that seem to fit fairly well with the morphology of the other teeth. My suggestion would be to either leave this piece as it is right now, or prep it out of the matrix, remove the composited teeth and glue the jaw bones back together. But Since the jaw seems to be fairly broken up, it might be a better idea to leave it as is. Trying to remove the composited teeth without removing the jaw from the matrix will likely result in ugly holes.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

8 minutes ago, Troodon said:

The few Unerupted teeth poking out are most likely real to that jaw.

Agree completely with that...

Thanks for the info!!  Unfortunately I can't add anymore pics.  I bought it about a year or two ago and it's been in storage most of that time with the majority of the rest of my collection.  At the time I bought it I thought it was all authentic.  I still have a lot to learn but I do know more nowadays, due mostly to this website and the members here.  I came across these pics on my phone today and it's the first time I've seen this jaw since I stored it away.  I immediately noticed the base of the teeth and realized that they appeared to be added in.(Something that I would of never caught a year ago).  That's when I decided to post the pics here to see to what extent it was modified.  My thoughts on this jaw when I saw the pics were pretty much spot on to what LordTrilobite posted.  It's pretty neat that this forum taught me how to spot modifications on fossils that just recently I would have never seen or had no clue about.  Luckily I'm still pretty happy with this purchase.  It's still real enough for me for the amount I paid for it.