@Kane ok thanks, I'll try the freeze and thaw method on a bit less "worthy" specimen (as to not risk breaking a better one), but otherwise I'll have to wait till I get some more high-end prep tools :)

@DevonianDigger @Ludwigia Thanks for kicking in the ID. I agree that for this bivalve the more likely ID is Sieberella sp. And Roger, I do indeed take a look at Fossiel.net often, very helpful ;) I'll make some more pictures of this specific brach soon. 

@Tidgy's Dad thanks for the nice comment Adam! And thanks for the ID help too. For the brach, I prefer Roger's ID, but I now agree that the "trilo pygydium" is indeed coral. I'll take some more pictures of the big coral and the small trilo piece soon. ;)

@belemniten Thanks Sebastain! I had a look at your awesome topic right before going hunting, in order to have a clearer idea of what to look for. ^_^

@Darktooth Thank you Dave! I am indeed lucky that I travel a lot, gives me the opportunity to often go to a new fossiling location! :D Thanks to that, I have fossils from a good range of different locations. 

Max

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Max, there is a similar situation with the rocks of the Plabutsch-Formation of the Graz Palaeozoic, Styria, Austria, also Eifelium. The fossils are basically "unprepable", but nature (weathering) can do a good job. Have a look at

http://www.zobodat.at/pdf/BerichteGeolBundesanstalt_111_0041-0074.pdf

especially page 55. These are all preped by wheatering, and such 3D specimens are very, very rare.

But very, very abundant is 2D nature prep, for typical specimens see:

https://franzbernhard.lima-city.de/Fossilfundstellen_Internet_PlabutschFormation_Allgemein.pdf

Happy hunting!
Franz Bernhard

I also don't know if you know this, but you can take small blocks with colonial corals in them and cut and polish them. They can look very nice when they're done.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thanks for taking us along on your little hunt!  I'm also curious about the "coral" on the left - it's looking kind of mollusc-y to me so I look forward to future pictures of it...

Congrats to you on all that you found, as well as for having such amazing parents!!! :dinothumb:

On 3/5/2018 at 7:13 PM, FranzBernhard said:

Max, there is a similar situation with the rocks of the Plabutsch-Formation of the Graz Palaeozoic, Styria, Austria, also Eifelium. The fossils are basically "unprepable", but nature (weathering) can do a good job. Have a look at

http://www.zobodat.at/pdf/BerichteGeolBundesanstalt_111_0041-0074.pdf

especially page 55. These are all preped by wheatering, and such 3D specimens are very, very rare.

But very, very abundant is 2D nature prep, for typical specimens see:

https://franzbernhard.lima-city.de/Fossilfundstellen_Internet_PlabutschFormation_Allgemein.pdf

Happy hunting!
Franz Bernhard

Thanks for the links Franz! Seems like good info, and has some very nice pictures. Those 3D specimens are impressive!

On 3/5/2018 at 9:03 PM, Ludwigia said:

I also don't know if you know this, but you can take small blocks with colonial corals in them and cut and polish them. They can look very nice when they're done.

I did not know this... Shame, because otherwise I would've taken a few pieces from the bigger blocks! (There were a few big blocks that had a little bit of colonial corals on them, but I thought that it wouldn't be worth the hassle to try and take them out, hoping I would find smaller pieces. Which I didn't...) Oh well, that gives me another reason to go back then!

On 3/5/2018 at 10:11 PM, Nimravis said:

Nice report Max and the pics a great.

Thank you Ralph!

On 3/6/2018 at 11:55 AM, Monica said:

Thanks for taking us along on your little hunt!  I'm also curious about the "coral" on the left - it's looking kind of mollusc-y to me so I look forward to future pictures of it...

Congrats to you on all that you found, as well as for having such amazing parents!!! :dinothumb:

Hahaha, thank you Monica! My parents are indeed really nice! But I'm sure that you're also an incredible parent to Viola :D

5 hours ago, ynot said:

Nice finds, nice report.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Tony :dinothumb:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

@Monica @Tidgy's Dad Here's the "coral" topic:

@DevonianDigger @Tidgy's Dad @Ludwigia Here's the brachiopod topic:

@Tidgy's Dad @Kane Here is the trilobit topic:

Sorry everyone that I made you wait a bit longer... I had a really intense school week with lots of work, and haven't had time to be on TFF too much!

Max Derème

So fun to see another Devonian outcrop in Europe. Sometime limestone can be very generous with the fossils and other times quite stingy. I think you made out well for a first time visit. Congrats on your finds and thank you for the virtual tour!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

On 3/13/2018 at 8:25 PM, Shamalama said:

So fun to see another Devonian outcrop in Europe. Sometime limestone can be very generous with the fossils and other times quite stingy. I think you made out well for a first time visit. Congrats on your finds and thank you for the virtual tour!

Thanks a lot! :ighappy:

Max Derème