Psittacosaurus Leg

The Speeding Carno

Hello,

I was browsing through our favorite auction site and stumbled on a psittacosaurus leg. The seller seems very reliable but I just wanted to make sure.

Found in China

Cretaceous

Approx. 6 in.

I saw this as well, but I think someone else posted a Psitacosaurus fossil from the same seller.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

3 minutes ago, indominus rex said:

I saw this as well, but I think someone else posted a Psitacosaurus fossil from the same seller.

Thanks for the info, just skimmed through the thread, I'll probably be passing on this.

7 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

Am I the only one who remembers that it is illegal to import vertebrate fossils from China?

-Joe

Sometimes Authorities turn a blind eye to vertebrate fossils. Like Keichousaurus's and Hyphalosaurus's.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

32 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

Am I the only one who remembers that it is illegal to import vertebrate fossils from China?

-Joe

No I understand exactly what you are saying however without any evidence of when this fossil was obtained you can't point fingers, if this was before the china ban which I believe was towards the late 80's you could potentially be accusing someone of a crime they have not committed, however I do understand your point and the fact there still seems to be a lot of fossil smuggling out china.  

@indominus rex And sometimes they don't!  Legally, Chinese authorities are able to work with cooperating foreign governments to return illegally-exported fossils to China without remuneration.  Obviously there is no way they will be able to stop all of the illegal smuggling but who knows when or where they'll decide to crack down!?

@Haravex I can't find anything in any of the Chinese laws that prevents them from being reinforced retroactively.  Here are a couple of links ( LINK1 ,  LINK2 ) to some articles that you might find interesting. I don't remember specifically where I read it, but I seem to recall that Mongolia actually made their law protecting cultural resources (including fossils) retroactive all the way back to the 1920s.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

I believe we should have more freedom of expression here at TFF, but without problems, even so, here still remains the best place in the world to gather people who like the same thing we like, and debate ideas...

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

if I remember correct Mongolia always had a law protecting cultural artifacts from 1926 just after the tarbosaurus incident this law was brought to light that cultural artifacts included the fossil specimens.

You certainly could be correct on that one, Haravex.  As I mentioned before...I don't know where I read it but it did stick in my mind!

Seguidora-de-Isis...I agree completely!  Civil discussions should always be the rule rather than the exception here on The Fossil Forum!

-Joe

Fruitbat's PDF Library

It was a US seller and I assumed these were from an old collection due to their poor quality, clearly I was wrong

The Speeding Carno...

It IS possible that the specimen is from an old collection.  I guess my concern was more of a general nature.  I have noted an increase of vertebrate fossils from China being offered for sale on some of the 'other' auction sites lately without any evidence that the fossils were legally obtained.  No vertebrate fossils are supposed to be exported from China without being approved by a committee who are then supposed to assign a number to the specimen(s) to indicate they are legal to export.

-Joe

Fruitbat's PDF Library

5 hours ago, The Speeding Carno said:

It was a US seller and I assumed these were from an old collection due to their poor quality, clearly I was wrong

I understand, but the fact is we have fake fossils anywhere on the planet, including in US...

image.thumb.png.966427974062cc52b5752194f43f4d5e.png

And many other countries ... All examples would be very long and boring post here...

We can not form an opinion based on the country the seller is in, but rather we must educate ourselves and always try to learn about what we want to buy.

Collectors specialize even if self-taught, it is still the best weapon against national and international fossil falsification, and no matter from which country it may be, because any fossil is a potential suspect until proven otherwise.

China raises red flags? Morocco raises red flags? Wrong! What raises red flags is misinformation. And the best inheritance we can leave to our children is not prejudice, but yes, the information!

Note: I want to make it clear that I am not saying that the seller of this supposed Psittacosaurus is selling a compound or a complete farce, but rather, that since I arrived in the TFF, I am struggling so that no country can be discriminated against, and that a given country can not raise an immediate red flag! Honest sellers but ill-informed, or cheaters sellers, exist in every country!

03.PNG

7 hours ago, The Speeding Carno said:

That's my impression and most likely.  Countless psittacosaurus skeletons were exported to this country along with Chineese Eggs when it was legal to do so.  The shows were full of them and many were in parts.  What you probably have is someone trying to put legs or arms together to make a sale of loose parts since it was from a seller here in the States.   I would hope everyone avoids Chinese fossils since these are grey areas with old collections and there are lots of domestic fossils to purchase.

18 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

I understand, but the fact is we have fake fossils anywhere on the planet, including in US...

image.thumb.png.966427974062cc52b5752194f43f4d5e.png

And many other countries ... All examples would be very long and boring post here...

We can not form an opinion based on the country the seller is in, but rather we must educate ourselves and always try to learn about what we want to buy.

Collectors specialize even if self-taught, it is still the best weapon against national and international fossil falsification, and no matter from which country it may be, because any fossil is a potential suspect until proven otherwise.

China raises red flags? Morocco raises red flags? Wrong! What raises red flags is misinformation. And the best inheritance we can leave to our children is not prejudice, but yes, the information!

Note: I want to make it clear that I am not saying that the seller of this supposed Psittacosaurus is selling a compound or a complete farce, but rather, that since I arrived in the TFF, I am struggling so that no country can be discriminated against, and that a given country can not raise an immediate red flag! Honest sellers but ill-informed, or cheaters sellers, exist in every country!

Very true and fair comments.  I agree entirely with you.  We do not discriminate against the source country but to examine every piece with professionalism to determine whether it is genuine or fake.  And very often, we learn by mistakes but the TTF helps reduce the chance of getting fake fossils!

18 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

The mosasaur fossil from Morocco is real! 

Tidgy and I made it ourselves! ;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

6 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The mosasaur fossil from Morocco is real! 

Tidgy and I made it ourselves! ;)

In this case, congratulations to you and to Tidgy! You two know how to work because you almost deceived me! :D

Thank you my friend Tidgy's Dad, for your support and for joining this just cause! :D

03.PNG

6 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

Very true and fair comments.  I agree entirely with you.  We do not discriminate against the source country but to examine every piece with professionalism to determine whether it is genuine or fake.  And very often, we learn by mistakes but the TTF helps reduce the chance of getting fake fossils!

Exactly this my friend Crazyhen! In fact our friend @Tidgy's Dad also knows very well what I am saying here... In Morocco, millions of trilobites, fake or compound jaws Mosasaur are manufactured per year and for each of them there is a buyer. And while there is a buyer, there will always be a totally fake, composite or embellished / made-up fossil, and this, in every country. Thank you for your support my friend, for really this cause is very fair! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

03.PNG

Archived