dealing with Moroccan super glue

Haravex

I've made a short video describing how to remove Moroccan super glue which i know some members have had major issues this is one method I use for stable fossils with minimal glue deposit on them (or smudge technique as i like to call it) 

Great video. Thank you for sharing. Just so I make sure I understand this correctly. If I have a specimen with a crappy repair done to it, I can follow the steps in the video and it will break down the super glue and not damage the specimen itself? And does the acetone work on filler putty and or expoxys?

I have personally never used it on epoxy or putty I feel the later sets very hard (like milliput?). As for if it will directly damage the fossil no however it's worth noting if the specimen is being held together with super glue it won't be staying together and if it's fragile fossil I would exercise caution but for fragile fossils I have a different technique which I will share at some point. It's also worth noting this is by no way fool proof and I'm just sharing what I have found useful to me and that it can be some use to the forum members on here.

Thanks matt 

9 hours ago, SULLY said:

Great video. Thank you for sharing. Just so I make sure I understand this correctly. If I have a specimen with a crappy repair done to it, I can follow the steps in the video and it will break down the super glue and not damage the specimen itself? And does the acetone work on filler putty and or expoxys?

Acetone will have some minor effect on old degraded epoxies. It will soften them a little but will not remove. Expoxies and putties usually have to be scribed off.

Thanks for the extra info @Ptychodus04 I've personally never had to deal with them.

Update turns out after further glue removal that the tip was a composite, which is why I find it essential to ensure all glue is removed and re-set with a PVA solution be that butvar, paraloid 72 or any other brand.

Archived