Peat Burns

16 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Thank you @Heteromorph, @Jeffrey P, @Nimravis, @Kane@Wrangellian, and @Pemphix!

It's nice having a place to share finds where there are people who appreciate them.  I have no friends who give a rats patoot about fossil hunting / collecting, so TFF is the only outlet I have.

Oh, i know that problem very well - especially my wife is not happy with the fossils ("a lot of dirt..." "only stones.." and so on - you know :wacko:...), but is tolerating...

I know a collector who quitted the hobby because wife said "Choose: me or the hobby" (no jokes)...

So good to know a place where to be with friends understanding you and your hobby...

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Thanks for this link. It was an enjoyable read this morning and I've bookmarked the blog as there seems to be a wealth of posts there that will make for some entertaining and enlightening reading.

Cheers.

-Ken

4 hours ago, Monica said:

I, too, love that little brachiopod - epibionts are the best!!!

Adam, I've noticed that you and I seem to have similar "tastes" in fossils... :fistbump:

Indeed, this seems to be a true thing. 

We are obviously both extremely discerning and intelligent people. ;)

:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

12 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Thanks Ludwigia.  I use the method outlined here:

Acetate peels

The only thing I did differently is that I used a belt sander rather than a lapidary grinder for the first stage in polishing after cutting.  I then use a series of wet sandpapers starting at 1500 grit and ending at 8000.  Takes about 15 - 20 minutes.  It's actually a lot of fun!

I've been meaning to try this at some point too...cool stuff! Haven't been to Paulding yet. Do you have any idea how often they add fresh material?

7 minutes ago, aek said:

I've been meaning to try this at some point too...cool stuff! Haven't been to Paulding yet. Do you have any idea how often they add fresh material?

Unfortunately, I do not.  I only "discovered" the site last year.  I was thinking that they could just bring a bulldozer in and feather out what is already there if they didn't want to dump anymore at this time. Feathering it out would yield a while new world of fresh fossils, because the strips of spoil are at least 2 or 3 feet thick.  Lots of goodies still in there!

Acetate peels are a blast.  Looking forward to updating my rugose coral IDs and labels! 

• 1 month later...

Wow! That is a nice looking trilobite! 

I really hope to see it prepped (if it isn’t already) :wub:

The brachiopods are looking great, too! That site appears to have lots of intact ones!

1 hour ago, FossilSniper said:

Wow! That is a nice looking trilobite! 

I really hope to see it prepped (if it isn’t already) :wub:

The brachiopods are looking great, too! That site appears to have lots of intact ones!

It's a great little site. Especially because it's only 45 miles from me :) and is the closest fossil site for me.

• 3 months later...

@Peat Burns I had the chance to look around there last year. It was loads of fun. All surface collecting (they don't allow tools but you don't need them). That Eldredgeops looks amazing and the eyes vary from it's cousin in New York (E. rana). If you get a chance please take some pictures of the trilobite preparation and tag me on the post. Not sure if we have this sub-species in our Collections yet and it might be good to make a new entry. Keep it up!

• I found this Informative 1

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

It doesn't look like it is new quarry material from the site photographs, which means the material has provided those of us fortunate enough to have collected there, with hours of entertainment and discovery. When I was there last, there was a slight rain, which incidentally helped in locating many fossils as they they turned dark in the rain...cool site. Eager to get back there,. but it will be next spring on our way from Fl to our grandson's graduation in Grand Haven, MI> Thanks for the post. And I too, think the trilobite eye is fabulous. 

I was there last week and there were new piles since 2016. They were less productive than the previous piles but I did find one roller and a headless prone bug. Last pic is from 2016...5b6132b6092b7_IMG_2041copy.thumb.JPG.4059fd00553836ed7498174c7ff0b99b.JPG5b6132be979fa_IMG_2048copy.thumb.JPG.1f008a5d68a024556ab31e145d44ccee.JPG

eldredgeops_paulding.jpg