Dinosaur Bones

RJB

Ive had these forever.  I may have gotten these from a little rockshop in Hanksville Utah about 26 years ago.  Earnest Shirleys Rockshop.  he's long gone now.  Was a really nice old man.  anyways, i am trying to get whatever info on these before I put them up for sale.  One looks like some kind of toe bone, the others some kind of verts.  May not even be from a dinosaur?  Thanks

RB

DSCN1454.JPG

DSCN1455.JPG

They all look  Hadrosaurian.  Toe bone possibly Digit II Phalanx 2 and caudal vertebrae

• I found this Informative 3

The top bone is a toe bone. The other two are caudal vertebrae.

Looks like hadrosaur to me. You don't have a location I'm assuming? Hadrosaurs are very difficult to identify on isolated bones alone. Generally where they differ the most is in the head. Hadrosaurs from Hell Creek, Lance and Judith River often appear on the market. Hell Creek and Lance are the easiest since only hadrosaur is Edmontosaurus that has been described from those areas. Though there are some hints that there might have been some rare Lambeosaurines. If they are from Judith River, it would be a lot harder to identify as there are plenty of both Saurolophine and Lambeosaurine hadrosaurs present in that area. Hadrosaurs like Brachylophosaurus and Lambeosaurus are present there.

Here's an example of a Hadrosaur toe bone from my collection. It's from Judith River so I've labeled it as Hadrosauridae indet.

Hadrosauridae_phalange01.jpg.02109fe0ef335fa1e4a45bb6267be977.jpg

Since most hadrosaur feet look mostly the same. This reference from Edmontosaurus works for pretty much ever hadrosaur to figure out which toe it should be. My thinking is that my Judith River hadro toe is the same bone as the one you have shown here.
edmontosaurus-foot-full.jpg.fcf0ec156d6c19c53f82f97058f8dbd5.jpg

Caudal vertebrae on hadrosaurs often have a distinctive hexagon shape on the centrum. Yours look like they are from pretty far down the tail end of the tail. :ighappy:

Here's an example of an Edmontosaurus caudal vertebra from my collection. It's a little taller, but it also has the distinctive subtle hexagon shape as yours seem to have as well.
Edmontosaurus_vert_caudal01.jpg.29a885128bc924ebe32941144ebf7f7e.jpg

Nice specimens btw.
  • I found this Informative 4

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite