Blue Springs, MS

ced0015

My wife and I made a brief trip this weekend out to Blue Springs, MS to poke around the Coon Creek Formation. We only walked around for ~1.5 hours, but we didn't get skunked. There was quite a bit of material to be found after the recent heavy rains, but the best finds of the trip were my first crab, and a particularly nice Squalicorax tooth! I've gathered a decent collection of similar teeth from the nearby Frankstown fossil park, but this one easily beats them all. As the temperature increased, we were even greeted by a rather well behaved Dekay's brown snake. 

Enjoy the pics,

Caleb

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2725.JPG

IMG_2736.JPG

IMG_2737.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Nice finds and Visitor. :) 

That crab and Squalicorax are very nice. 

Thanks for posting. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The sneak seems to be very interested in fossils. Which is good, Tidgy is, it must be a reptiles thing. 

Nice finds, I love the crab. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

That Squalicorax tooth is much larger than the ones I usually find in New Jersey. The crab carapace is excellent too. Congratulations. Any shells? Also, that Dekay's snake is much larger than the ones I usually see. A couple years ago I found one just inside the entrance of the office building where I work. I picked it up and placed it outside in the ornamental garden. I'm sure it would be happier there and most of the employees where I work would be happier if it were there also. 

Looks like you and the spouse had a nice trip.  I don't thinks that's a DeKay's snake (Storeria dekayi) though...looks more like a young water snake (Nerodia sp.) to me.

-Joe

• I found this Informative 1

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

4 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

Looks like you and the spouse had a nice trip.  I don't thinks that's a DeKay's snake (Storeria dekayi) though...looks more like a young water snake (Nerodia sp.) to me.

-Joe

I agree with Joe. Here's a Dekays Brown Snake from my front yard.

brownsnake2.jpg

Great finds, especially the crab. Also a very nice Squalicorax. 

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

17 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

That Squalicorax tooth is much larger than the ones I usually find in New Jersey. The crab carapace is excellent too. Congratulations. Any shells? Also, that Dekay's snake is much larger than the ones I usually see. A couple years ago I found one just inside the entrance of the office building where I work. I picked it up and placed it outside in the ornamental garden. I'm sure it would be happier there and most of the employees where I work would be happier if it were there also. 

Thanks! There were many shells (mostly fragments), but I have very little experience with bivalve identification and left them for those who will appreciate them more. The squalicorax tooth is the largest in my collection now, I am pumped!

@Fruitbat, @Al Dente Thanks, we enjoyed the time outside! This picture may be a little deceiving, the snake has flattened its head as a response to me picking him/her up. The dorsal markings are also particularly well defined and dark with this individual. Both of those attributes results in a resemblance to Nerodia spp. (especially N. Rhombifer). The dark marking (barely visible in the photo) behind the snake's eye usually appears on S. dekayi as wellI was initially confident in the ID, but now you fellas have me thinking twice. 

ced0015...

Pretty much all of the DeKay's snakes that we encounter down here in Texas look like this:

sdekayi1.jpg

Of course...it is a different subspecies (Storeria dekayi texana) than the ones you get in Mississippi.  Anyway...nice fossils!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Joe,

Individuals can vary remarkably. Here is another darkly colored example:species photo

But, I could be wrong. I will send it to a herpetologist friend of mine(or a herp forum :]) for ID . Thanks for the interest!

Caleb 

nice finds, looks like a water snake to me also.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Definitely a DeKays, back of the jaw is too narrow for a water snake, plus I think "well behaved" water snake would be a contradiction in terms. (Former herp. and water snake owner.)

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

13 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

I think "well behaved" water snake would be a contradiction in terms.

I can agree with this statement. Every young water snake I’ve caught puts on quite a defense display.

1 minute ago, Al Dente said:

I can agree with this statement. Every young water snake I’ve caught puts on quite a defense display.

They flatten themselves out to look more like a venomous snake and musk like mad.

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Awesome Squalicorax! I didn't know much about this shark, but I just looked it up and it apparently highly resembled the modern Great White and lived in waters roamed by giant mosasaurs! Really, really cool. Love the snake too; what a nice encounter. I love running into the local wildlife when fossil hunting (given they're in a good mood!). Great report. Thanks for sharing!

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

I know nothing about eastern snakes so i will not enter that discussion... ice find.  And excellent crab, too.  

@Jakuzi I haven't been since January. Water levels are still pretty high in west MS, though. So there is a good chance that twenty-mile creek is also high.

1 hour ago, TNCollector said:

Nice squali! I have one almost the same size from a site close to there.

Thanks! 

22 hours ago, ced0015 said:

@Jakuzi I haven't been since January. Water levels are still pretty high in west MS, though. So there is a good chance that twenty-mile creek is also high.

Thanks.  I went out today to a different part of 20mile(not Frankstown). Water was high but I climbed down anyway and found 4 or 5 complete teeth.  I also got down into another promising looking creek and found a killer arrowhead along with some chunks of bone that looked marine reptilish.

3 minutes ago, Jakuzi said:

Thanks.  I went out today to a different part of 20mile(not Frankstown). Water was high but I climbed down anyway and found 4 or 5 complete teeth.  I also got down into another promising looking creek and found a killer arrowhead along with some chunks of bone that looked marine reptilish.

We want pics!:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.