Toe bone? Deer or MAYBE fossil?

RiverHunter312

Hello everyone!

I have found quite a few bones recently but most, I assume, deer or small mammal. I didn't think to post them here except this one I found yesterday. I assume it is some modern animal but can't be sure.  When I saw this post:

It made me think to just post this for more information.  This came from the DuPage river in Northern Illinois, West of Chicago.  It was found among gravel type rocks about 15 feet from the river ina trail. The huge flooding we have had recently is opening up all kinds of things and I can't wait for the rivers to go down to see what else is uncovered.

It seems it has not become stone-like as fossilization would do but it doesn't look like the other bones I found. I know being in or near water will change the look, feel and degradation of the bones. Still curious though.

Thoughts?

IMG_0683.JPG

IMG_0680.JPG

IMG_0681.JPG

Definitely appears to be the proximal phalanx of bison/bos. It can be pretty difficult to distinguish between bison and cow bones but the more mineralized and heavy - the better. We find a lot of bison stuff around my part of the country too - nice find!

That's an impressive shot to take! Must be a very patient relaxed deer to pose for you! Thanks!

:D

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

For kicks :)

IMG_4567a.jpg

That

5 hours ago, Stagmooser said:

Definitely appears to be the proximal phalanx of bison/bos. It can be pretty difficult to distinguish between bison and cow bones but the more mineralized and heavy - the better. We find a lot of bison stuff around my part of the country too - nice find!

Thank you! I thought it was cool too. I have had some great luck lately even with just partially melted snow or high water problems. I am anxiously awaiting the waters to go down in order to really see what was uncovered.

I have been finding a bunch of bones recently. Hoping the last two aren't human. Probably not. I hope not. Assuming they are deer/cow or something. Seem like femurs or a tibia. I didn't post them as I didn't think they were all that old. I guess I could add them to this thread. This thread was the fourth bone found in two days and was on a path which I thought was interesting as the others, and most of my finds, have all been in or right at the water's edges.

3 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

For comparison:

deerphalangesB.JPG

bison_phalanges.JPG

bison_prox_phalanxA.JPG

bison_prox_phalanxB.JPG

Thank you for these awesome photos! This bone was on the ground in a way that the curved part was facing up so it caught my eye. I knew it was something but just not exactly what.  Thank you for helping with this!

5 hours ago, Stagmooser said:

Oh and to your point about mineralization. My immediate guess was this was not very very old as it is not mineralized and is very light. It seems that "heavy is good" is a useful motto.

7 hours ago, RiverHunter312 said:

That's an impressive shot to take! Must be a very patient relaxed deer to pose for you! Thanks!

:D

That

It was relaxed alright. That is the only part of the animal that still has hide on it, but the closest I had to an example of that bone.

It's from a coyote kill that I came across while taking a short cut across a frozen swamp last winter.

Here are a few more pieces that fit that first bone. I went out again today back to that same part of the river trail and found a BUNCH of stuff. I will start a new thread for the one item as it is very unusual. Here are some more pieces along with a "dinosaur tooth" which I am including for fun. For a second I actually thought it was because of its shape and weight. But then I came to my senses.

IMG_0689.JPG

It won't let me post more pictures on this thread so the "dinosaur tooth" will just have to wait for another day.