round walnut looking rocks

john h dalton

we find these in the Morrison formation here in Wyoming. They look a lot like, and I've always thought they were some kind of nut or seed pod. They are rare in most of the Morrison but when you find them, you find a lot. Usually in a central location they will be lots of them but as you go out further they become fewer. just like you would find around acorns around a oak tree. 

'

IMG_6676.jpg

IMG_1348 (1).jpg

They are seed pods (or cones), can't remember what they're called... I'm sure others do though. Nice specimens!

Edit: the others make some good points about concretions so I may be wrong...

• I found this Informative 1

Cones, I think. Araucaria, maybe?image.png

• I found this Informative 4

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

36 minutes ago, ynot said:

These look like concretions to Me.

Notice that some are odd shaped and the bottom left has a double.

IMG_6676.thumb.jpg.68e35842e77e2b04ca1fe33a5066b46e.jpg.b3f6384e174e5c85135d0b414a0f4d5b.jpg

oh yeah sorry about the picture. It's kinda misleading. They were in a box with some other things as well. The thing on the right is a piece bone fossil. The one on the left is just a stupid rock that some how got in the box.  Those are two individual stones in question on the bottom left, even though they appear to be one. But a friend of mine   does have a couple that are conjoined.  

1 hour ago, ynot said:

These look like concretions to Me.

Notice that some are odd shaped and the bottom left has a double.

IMG_6676.thumb.jpg.68e35842e77e2b04ca1fe33a5066b46e.jpg.b3f6384e174e5c85135d0b414a0f4d5b.jpg

oh yeah sorry about the picture. It's kinda misleading. They were in a box with some other things as well. The thing on the right is a piece bone fossil. The one on the left is just a stupid rock that some how got in the box.  Those are two individual stones in question on the bottom left, even though they appear to be one. But a friend of mine   does have a couple that are conjoined.  

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

I took a hammer and broke a couple in half. I have found a lot that are broken  sometimes they are hollow...

They remind me of degraded pyrite nodules.  Likely some form of iron based mineral formation.

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Here is a pic I found online

Marcasite nodule

marcasite geode.jpg

Not quite close enough, in my opinion.  :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

There is a lot of variety when it comes to pyrite, marcasite, limonite, and hematite nodules.  I'd guess that these are "heavy" for their size.

• I found this Informative 2

Have you scrubbed/cleaned these really well?  Can you get a focused image of the ones you "freshly" cracked open? 

we always called them Indian golf balls when we were kids. A while back a guy in a rock shop said they were dalphinites or something like that. Im sure i spelling it wrong. i've gone online with that word and spelled it differently. I still  haven't found anything. Thanks for everyones  help I really appreciate it!!

Thanks for the extra photos.  These are definitely geologic in origin, in my opinion.

I think John may have the right of it, after all. :) 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Are you anywhere near Casper?  If you get a chance, bring in to the Tate Museum.  Seeds/cones are not known from the Morrison, so I doubt they are plant fossils.  I am betting on crystal growths of some kind.  Until you said 'not heavy', I was going to suggest barite nodules, but they are really heavy.    We have paleontologists and geologists who could have a look at these and give you some sort of educated guess or real answer.  

oh and a friend in a neighboring town took some and polished them up on his water belt polisher. ( i guess thats what you call it lol) and they polished up real pretty almost agatized

1 minute ago, jpc said:

Are you anywhere near Casper?  If you get a chance, bring in to the Tate Museum.  Seeds/cones are not known from the Morrison, so I doubt they are plant fossils.  I am betting on crystal growths of some kind.  Until you said 'not heavy', I was going to suggest barite nodules, but they are really heavy.    We have paleontologists and geologists who could have a look at these and give you some sort of educated guess or real answer.  

yeah i live in worland but im going  to be coming to casper later this week. I surly will bring some with me. Thank You!