round walnut looking rocks

john h dalton

we find these in the Morrison formation here in Wyoming. They look a lot like, and I've always thought they were some kind of nut or seed pod. They are rare in most of the Morrison but when you find them, you find a lot. Usually in a central location they will be lots of them but as you go out further they become fewer. just like you would find around acorns around a oak tree. 

'

IMG_6676.jpg

IMG_1348 (1).jpg

They are seed pods (or cones), can't remember what they're called... I'm sure others do though. Nice specimens!

Edit: the others make some good points about concretions so I may be wrong...

Cones, I think. Araucaria, maybe?image.png

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

36 minutes ago, ynot said:

These look like concretions to Me.

Notice that some are odd shaped and the bottom left has a double.

IMG_6676.thumb.jpg.68e35842e77e2b04ca1fe33a5066b46e.jpg.b3f6384e174e5c85135d0b414a0f4d5b.jpg

oh yeah sorry about the picture. It's kinda misleading. They were in a box with some other things as well. The thing on the right is a piece bone fossil. The one on the left is just a stupid rock that some how got in the box.  Those are two individual stones in question on the bottom left, even though they appear to be one. But a friend of mine   does have a couple that are conjoined.  

1 hour ago, ynot said:

These look like concretions to Me.

Notice that some are odd shaped and the bottom left has a double.

IMG_6676.thumb.jpg.68e35842e77e2b04ca1fe33a5066b46e.jpg.b3f6384e174e5c85135d0b414a0f4d5b.jpg

oh yeah sorry about the picture. It's kinda misleading. They were in a box with some other things as well. The thing on the right is a piece bone fossil. The one on the left is just a stupid rock that some how got in the box.  Those are two individual stones in question on the bottom left, even though they appear to be one. But a friend of mine   does have a couple that are conjoined.  

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

I took a hammer and broke a couple in half. I have found a lot that are broken  sometimes they are hollow...

They remind me of degraded pyrite nodules.  Likely some form of iron based mineral formation.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Here is a pic I found online

Marcasite nodule

marcasite geode.jpg

Not quite close enough, in my opinion.  :unsure: 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

There is a lot of variety when it comes to pyrite, marcasite, limonite, and hematite nodules.  I'd guess that these are "heavy" for their size.

Have you scrubbed/cleaned these really well?  Can you get a focused image of the ones you "freshly" cracked open? 

we always called them Indian golf balls when we were kids. A while back a guy in a rock shop said they were dalphinites or something like that. Im sure i spelling it wrong. i've gone online with that word and spelled it differently. I still  haven't found anything. Thanks for everyones  help I really appreciate it!!

Thanks for the extra photos.  These are definitely geologic in origin, in my opinion.

I think John may have the right of it, after all. :) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Are you anywhere near Casper?  If you get a chance, bring in to the Tate Museum.  Seeds/cones are not known from the Morrison, so I doubt they are plant fossils.  I am betting on crystal growths of some kind.  Until you said 'not heavy', I was going to suggest barite nodules, but they are really heavy.    We have paleontologists and geologists who could have a look at these and give you some sort of educated guess or real answer.  

oh and a friend in a neighboring town took some and polished them up on his water belt polisher. ( i guess thats what you call it lol) and they polished up real pretty almost agatized

1 minute ago, jpc said:

Are you anywhere near Casper?  If you get a chance, bring in to the Tate Museum.  Seeds/cones are not known from the Morrison, so I doubt they are plant fossils.  I am betting on crystal growths of some kind.  Until you said 'not heavy', I was going to suggest barite nodules, but they are really heavy.    We have paleontologists and geologists who could have a look at these and give you some sort of educated guess or real answer.  

yeah i live in worland but im going  to be coming to casper later this week. I surly will bring some with me. Thank You!

Archived