Real trilobite?

DatFossilBoy

Hello,

I saw this trilobite online for a ridiculous price and I was wondering if it was fake or the seller was really inexperienced.

The matrix is a bit weird...

What do you think?

Thanks,Regards

(Ps, sorry this is the only pic I have)

CF7367DB-7ADD-4CDE-ACC1-BAD94CDF53E0.jpeg

seems for me partially carved and composited...but let's see what the experts will tell...

• I found this Informative 1

Looks to me to be an internal mold (where the shell dissolved away), with some restoration.

Real enough.

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

7 minutes ago, Auspex said:

Looks to me to be an internal mold (where the shell dissolved away), with some restoration.

Real enough.

Oh ok thanks a lot. 

Do you have any clue on the specie?

21 minutes ago, DatFossilBoy said:

Oh ok thanks a lot. 

Do you have any clue on the specie?

Could be a Cambropallas. Not sure though

• I found this Informative 2

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

21 minutes ago, indominus rex said:

Could be a Cambropallas. Not sure though

Maybe...

I really need to know for sure if it’s real or not and if it is,what specie it could be.

Maybe @LordTrilobite or @Tidgy's Dadcan help me out?

Thanks alot

Regards

Does look like Cambropallas.

It also looks real. But directly behind the head it looks quite dubious. I wouldn't be surprised if this was composited from several specimens.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

This is Campropallas , I think. Both it and Acadoparodoxides are frequently faked or 'improved' due to their popularity with collectors because of their large size. 

I would say that quite a lot of this has been sculpted and other parts enhanced and would steer clear. 

When buying either of these species it is a good idea to get the positive and negative halves of the fossil as it makes it much easier to discern if there has been any tampering. (though they can of course fiddle with both, it's easier to spot) . 

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Oh yeah, it's real, but it was made up, that is, some parts were made to look like a complete Campropallas:

image.png.56fdf5d67ac1757afefe85e794a0d769.png

Only for this photo can not be sure, but I believe that two fragmented trilobites were used to make this composition:

image.png.fb19886b1603014261bfbf4a036eda42.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Okay cool! Thanks a lot for your help everyone.

Do you think it is still worth buying? Might be worth the gamble because it’s like 10$...

Regards

9 minutes ago, DatFossilBoy said:

Okay cool! Thanks a lot for your help everyone.

Do you think it is still worth buying? Might be worth the gamble because it’s like 10$...

Regards

I wouldn't, but it's up to you

I'd either buy something small and nice for my money or save up for something bigger 

And don't forget the postage! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

25 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I wouldn't, but it's up to you

I'd either buy something small and nice for my money or save up for something bigger 

And don't forget the postage! 

Yeah your probably right.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

If the total is really cheap I might consider buying it just for fun as it has parts of real trilobite and its a quite nice piece.

Maybe for a futur trade or I don’t know...

Thanks 

Regards Thomas

A fossil is worth everything a buyer is willing to pay. If you're going to feel good about it in your collection, go ahead! After all, it's beautiful for display on your shelf. But if you're a penny-pincher like our Moroccan friend, then my advice is you save your money for strong future emotions... ;)

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

35 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

A fossil is worth everything a buyer is willing to pay. If you're going to feel good about it in your collection, go ahead! After all, it's beautiful for display on your shelf. But if you're a penny-pincher like our Moroccan friend, then my advice is you save your money for strong future emotions... ;)

Ahem! :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

To me, it looks as a very very damaged and weathered piece they tried to fancy a bit. A bit hard :D

At least 2 fractures run through the trilobite that did a lot of damage to the original piece. It misses a lot of trilobite: nearly entire pygidium, first segments behind the cephalon, left genal spine .. and so on. They glued it back together and sculpted what needed to be done (eheh).

Also, it's very very very much eroded and the surface color is nothing original to the layer they find it in. It seem to have been coated with some thick-it-needs-more-water-paint.

I've added a nearly perfect original to compare with .. 

a 146.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

• I found this Informative 4