Why is it you always break/chip/destroy the big one?

Calvin Jenkins

So dry season is making slough hunting possible again.  These were 12-24" down in a now dry creek bed all within about 4 linear feet of each other.  And I happily complied with the rules of fossil hunting and broke the big one trying to get it out.

20180306 Slough hunt.jpg

Lovely finds! :)

But what a terrible shame about the big one. :megalodon_broken01:

Heartbreaking. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Because it is big, that's why!

What's worse is when you find only half of an already-broken fossil that you can tell would have been a great one. At least you can glue the pieces together when you have them all.

A little glue and only you will know the truth. 

"If you choose not to decide. You still have made a choice." - Rush

2 hours ago, Past Hunter said:

A little glue and only you will know the truth. 

I will remember!

What is it they say before you go out and hunt? “Break a meg”?:P

Very nice megs! fossils break, Tis a sad truth. But, if they were all whole where would be the satisfaction in finding a complete one, eh?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Looks like both halves of that broken big meg would fit very nicely together. Congratulations on finding it. I just visited the AMNH and they had many fine specimens on display that had been glued together. 

I’d def your that big one back together, what’s the total length on the monster:meg:congrats on some awesome megs Kevin:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Sometimes we get so excited over finding the big one we throw caution to the wind in order to retrieve as soon as possible. I totally ruined the first nice big Dipleura  I found because I did not want to take the extra time to chisel well enough around the prize before extraction. It shattered into a thousand pieces. Lesson learned.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Ive got a freind called 'Murphy' who's been following me around for the last 26 years.  Looks like he's found you too.  Nice tooth still.

RB

Key, the glue is. Find the truth using it, you will.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

11 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Key, the glue is. Find the truth using it, you will.

Hush Yoda! It was too much force that broke the tooth!

18 hours ago, RJB said:

Ive got a freind called 'Murphy' who's been following me around for the last 26 years.  Looks like he's found you too.  Nice tooth still.

RB

That's the "Lawman" isn't it? I know him too.

17 hours ago, jpc said:

you guys who find fossils that need no glue and no prep are spoiled....  

I'll go along with that. I'd estimate that at least a fifth of the fossils that I've found and kept in my collection were broken during excavation, often despite the fact that all possible care was taken. The main thing is that the breaks are clean, allowing for a relatively satisfying reassembly.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Don't worry about that break - easy fix!

I came downstairs to this the other day..cats!

IMG_3075.PNG

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Amazing finds @Calvin Jenkins

We spent last weekend digging and sifting the Peace River, and while we found 100s of teeth, the largest were just over an inch. Next time you head out send me a message, always up to play hooky for a day if needed!

Mark

Archived