KimTexan

I found this back around Thanksgiving, the end of November, in the Grayson Formation in Tarrant County Texas. I believe it is a Graysonites ammonite, but I was trying to narrow it down to a species. I only have one reference book for Texas ammonites and it doesn’t mention any Graysonites ammonites in Tarrant County. The book is a bit older so some of the nomenclature may have changed too.

In the book there are 4 species compared in a table. There are a few more mentioned briefly, but not well described. Only 2 species in the table are reported in the Grayson formation, lozoi and wooldridgei I think this may be the Graysonites lozoi  species unless anyone can direct me otherwise.

It is 200 mm in diameter and had a max whorl height of 76 mm with a breadth of 49 mm. The number of ribs per whorl is 16.

I was hunting with another person the day I found this. He found a much larger one in embedded under the marl ledge about 30 feet from this one. He tried to extract it and shattered it in the attempt. The horns on that one were about 45 mm long! It was an impressive little beast.

Any thoughts? Can anyone direct me to additional references with Graysonites in Texas? I probably need to search @Fruitbat‘s PDF library. Or maybe @doushantuo has a good reference.

I have others I will be attempting to ID soon as well.

The last shot you can just see suture patterns if you zoom in. Hopefully the quality didn’t suffer too much when I attempted to downsize them to put on here.

3ED98CD9-9282-46B0-894D-10789ADC3E32.jpeg

07ECB2B5-8F82-4715-AD00-3174329958B9.jpeg

AA972778-0D6E-480B-AFB3-81C08461E91E.jpeg

3A56CD98-0A9E-44DE-B752-BED7E59280E1.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Very nice ammonite! You seem to have a knack for finding the big ones!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Graysonites is defined in a paywalled paper by Young /

Kennedy treated some mantelloceratids in a recent paper 

Below: G. woodridgei/Cenomanian of Spain

specicgghkkitopugyytykkanguujjjiidp88humb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

16 hours ago, doushantuo said:

Graysonites is defined in a paywalled paper by Young /

Kennedy treated some mantelloceratids in a recent paper 

Below: G. woodridgei/Cenomanian of Spain

Thank you Ben.