mikeymig

First hunt of 2018 in the Devonian of NY

mikeymig

Some of the fossils I found when collecting with my nephew Joey and my Girlfriend Paula during February recess. Joey is my good luck charm. The rare crinoid with an attached gastropod (snail) is a first for me. It was nice to get out and do some hunting with my crew. Im getting the crinoid prepped and will post pics to the thread when that happens. Thanks Mikey

3bryo.jpg

gennaeo.jpg

Pemphix

Very nice pieces !

mikeymig

The rest  - 

Devonoblastus leda (1 blastoid), Tropidoleptus carinatus (49 brachiopod), Athyris spiriferoides (40 brachiopod), Platyceras (13 snail), Crinoid stems (30), Mucrospirifer mucronatus (20 brachiopod)Pleurodictyum americanum (4 coral)Nucleospira concinna (12 brachiopod), Cupulorostrum sappho (10 brachiopod), Elytha fimbriata (2 brachiopod), Chonetes syrtalis (1 brachiopod), Cryptonella rectirostra (10 brachiopod), Meristina nasuta (1 brachiopod),Megakozlowskiella sculptilis (1 brachiopod), Thamnoptychia limbata (1 coral),Mediospirifer sp. (2 brachiopod).  

DSC05715xx.jpg

Jeffrey P

Wow! That's quite a collection for one day. I love the top coral/bryozoan piece and of course the crinoid calyx/gastropod pair and the blastoid. Any chance I could get a better (close up) look at the Elytha and a representative Nucleospirifer? Very impressive specimens there. Big congratulations and thanks for sharing. Oh and by the way- welcome back.

Pagurus

Not bad for New York in February! Not bad for anywhere, anytime! Thanks for posting the photos, and the IDs. Terrific.

Fossildude19

Great finds, Mikey!

Thanks for showing us the Devonian goodies. :) 

Darktooth

Congratulations on a very successful N.Y. hunt!

mikeymig
53 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Wow! That's quite a collection for one day. I love the top coral/bryozoan piece and of course the crinoid calyx/gastropod pair and the blastoid. Any chance I could get a better (close up) look at the Elytha and a representative Nucleospirifer? Very impressive specimens there. Big congratulations and thanks for sharing. Oh and by the way- welcome back.

Hey Jeffrey,

Thanks, I know its been awhile. I've been building my shell collection and haven't been fossil collecting much. The brachiopods are Nucleospira not Nucleospirifers. This is the only locality I have that I find them. The Elytha are uncommon for me and I find only 4-6 a year. 

DSC05727.JPG

DSC05728.JPG

Jeffrey P
33 minutes ago, mikeymig said:

Hey Jeffrey,

Thanks, I know its been awhile. I've been building my shell collection and haven't been fossil collecting much. The brachiopods are Nucleospira not Nucleospirifers. This is the only locality I have that I find them. The Elytha are uncommon for me and I find only 4-6 a year. 

DSC05727.JPG

DSC05728.JPG

Thanks for the close ups Mikey. I've never seen those Nucleospira before, at least that I recognized. Elytha are not uncommon in the Hamilton Group in Central New York, but the ones I've so far seen are imprints and internal casts. Nice to see the whole shell. Again, welcome back. Looks like you've returned to fossil collecting in a big way. 

Innocentx

Seeing your really fine finds, has given me the big itch to hunt. Winter has been long.

Congratulations on these beauties.

Tidgy's Dad

What a fantastic haul! 

And beautifully presented photos, too. 

Thanks for sharing. :envy:

Peat Burns

:faint::envy::faint:

The Nucleospira reminds me of Spinatrypa spinosa

mikeymig
17 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

:faint::envy::faint:

The Nucleospira reminds me of Spinatrypa spinosa

You think? ;) 

1544991_571259982965112_777723763_n.jpg

1555336_571260122965098_916848168_n.jpg

Peat Burns
53 minutes ago, mikeymig said:

You think? ;) 

1544991_571259982965112_777723763_n.jpg

1555336_571260122965098_916848168_n.jpg

I do think they look similar to Spinatrypa spinosa.  Although I don't have any Nucelospira in my collection, so I don't know the extent to which they are +/- cancellate or have spines.  Yours do appear to have broken spines.

Brachiopods.thumb.jpg.22cf60f55164ab5c222ff76d8d4a6b08.jpg

mikeymig
32 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

I do think they look similar to Spinatrypa spinosa.  Although I don't have any Nucelospira in my collection, so I don't know the extent to which they are +/- cancellate or have spines.  Yours do appear to have broken spines.

Brachiopods.thumb.jpg.22cf60f55164ab5c222ff76d8d4a6b08.jpg

Oh, now I see what you mean. Thats Elytha fimbriata not Nucleospira. :)

SULLY

Congratulations!

MeargleSchmeargl

Neat stuff!

mikeymig

Here are some pics of the crinoid/snail that I promised. Thanks to Markus Martin for the prep. It looks awesome.

crigascoll.jpg

29751212_10213044226275055_2098792989_n.jpg

29855280_10213044225635039_1287426032_n.jpg

29852671_10213044225795043_1296201792_n.jpg

old bones

That is stunning!

Vieira

Beautiful :dinothumb:

Tidgy's Dad
2 hours ago, old bones said:

That is stunning!

Exactly what I was going to say! 

So I will:

That is stunning! 

And I will add: 

WOW ! ! !:wub:

mikeymig

Thanks. I heard that trilobites have been winning fossil of the month for awhile so I entered it for the March 2018 title. Maybe it will break that streak. ;) 

Fossildude19
20 minutes ago, mikeymig said:

Thanks. I heard that trilobites have been winning fossil of the month for awhile so I entered it for the March 2018 title. Maybe it will break that streak. ;) 

It really is a great specimen! :wub: 

Malone

Thank you! If it's not a secret, how much time did you spend on preparing these fascinating pieces of creation?