Cloud the Dinosaur King

Hello guys. I want your opinion on some thing, it's a paleoart idea I call Therizinopteros brazilienensis from the Santana Formation in Brazil. It's part of a late surviving group of Wukongopteroid pterosaurs that survived way into the Early Cretaceous. It was the last and most advanced member, a super predator, a hunter of other, bigger pterosaurs. It went after giants like Tapejara, Anhanguera, even the giant Thalassodromeus! This thing was a monster, and yet it only had a six foot wingspan. The reason why it can take down prey 5 times its size is because its killing method was brutal. There's a reason why it's name means scythe wing from Brazil. It was very fast and maneuverable and could stoop like a falcon. Males had a large aerodynamic crest that was colorful and could be used used for display purposes to attract a mate or to frighten a rival. They ha sharp teeth and large claws, the largest being their thumb claw, or their "killing claw". This claw was their most effective weapon. What they would do, they would fly up to the pterosaur or dive at them, extend their claws, then rip them open. If they killed over the ocean, they would dive in and pull the pterosaur back to shore to eat. they were strong swimmers, comparable to modern seabirds. This pterosaur was a very effective hunter. It's certainly not a friendly animal, but it sure is interesting. I will be posting my paleoart in a day or two when I finish. It's going to be awesome! I hope you guys like it.

• I found this Informative 1

Sounds like a lot of speculation on an extinct animals behavior.:headscratch:

Also sounds like a good art project, looking forward to the finished piece.:popcorn::popcorn:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Being a hunter of other pterosaurs, I would think that the evolution of this creature would steer away from swimming, and focus more on the best ways to kill and capture it's intended prey, which is a flying animal.  

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Look forward to seeing the art. 

An interesting project. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, Cloud the Dinosaur King said:

...If they killed over the ocean, they would dive in and pull the pterosaur back to shore to eat.

What evidence is there for this?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

2 hours ago, Auspex said:

What evidence is there for this?

Apparently pterosaurs were extinct analogs to modern day seabirds. It would make the most sense for Therizinopteros as the Santana Formation was mostly beachfront. There's a Mark Witton blog post on the topic: http://markwitton-com.blogspot.com/2017/04/new-paper-pterosaur-palaeoecology-as.html

21 minutes ago, Cloud the Dinosaur King said:

...pterosaurs were extinct analogs to modern day seabirds.

Certainly some were, and they were well adapted for snatching fish while in flight, like today's skimmer. The aerial predator-of-other-pterosaurs is an exploitable niche, and there is physical evidence suggesting just that.
However, I balk at the idea that any could make a living by rowing a carcass ashore in order to consume it. That seems to be the sort of behavior that would get them removed from the gene pool rather quickly. I could, however, imagine them alighting on the floating carcass and dining on it alfresco...

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

31 minutes ago, Auspex said:

I could, however, imagine them alighting on the floating carcass and dining on it alfresco...

I guess this would make more sense.

It's finished. A juvenile individual attacks an adult male Tropeognathus while a male Thalassodromeus flies away in the backround.

IMG_1178.JPG