Here’s my current fossil and gem display

dontom

You have some very nice and impressive pieces!! :wub:

What is the botryoidal purple mineral specimen in the photo with the skull (far right, top shelf)?

Thanks for the kinds words.

This is just a temporary set up.  Everything will have labels and I will have 4 or 5 cabinets in the man cave when I move so I can display the rest and it wont be as overcrowded.

1 hour ago, Mediospirifer said:

You have some very nice and impressive pieces!! :wub:

What is the botryoidal purple mineral specimen in the photo with the skull (far right, top shelf)?

It's botryoidal Agate more commonly called grape Agate.

• I found this Informative 1

17 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Nice! I see that you have good taste. Now you've got me curious about the rest of your collection. I find that labels in display cabinets in the homes of private collectors just get in the way sometimes and think that yours just fine the way it is. The important thing is that everything is numbered and catalogued, right? :)

Curious viewers might like to know stuff about them without having to ask, rather than just go "ooh, aah"!

4 hours ago, dontom said:

It's botryoidal Agate more commonly called grape Agate.

Funny, i was thinking of describing it as "the purple specimen that looks like a bunch of grapes..."

4 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Curious viewers might like to know stuff about them without having to ask, rather than just go "ooh, aah"!

I've had some of my most lively conversations whilst giving the tour. The first thing that naturally comes after "ooh, aah" is "What's that?" or "Where did you find it?" or "How old is that?" Nobody I've shown around seems to mind asking.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 3/8/2018 at 11:07 PM, Ludwigia said:

I've had some of my most lively conversations whilst giving the tour. The first thing that naturally comes after "ooh, aah" is "What's that?" or "Where did you find it?" or "How old is that?" Nobody I've shown around seems to mind asking.

If it were me taking the tour, I might want to know about all of them, and glancing at labels might be a bit of a timesaver. Of course if there were any stories to be told, I'd want to hear them too.

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

If it were me taking the tour, I might want to know about all of them, and glancing at labels might be a bit of a timesaver. Of course if there were any stories to be told, I'd want to hear them too.

Well, if you ever come to visit me, you'll just have to prepare yourself for asking a lot of questions, but we've got all the time in the world, don't we? :)

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

If I had my way, that's what it would be, but then, I rarely get such luxuries - seems it's always a big rush to the next thing... :shrug: