Calvert Cliffs advice

3eds2w

Hi everyone!  My girlfriend and I are going to attempt another trip to Calvert Cliffs next weekend.  We would love to find a megalodon tooth or vertebrate fossil.  We have hip wader and are thinking about going to the Matoaka Beach Cabins and walking north.  We were thinking of going a few feet into the water, where larger material has been sorted, and using a sand scooper.  For you seasoned experts out there, does this seem like the way to go?  I would love any advice!  Thanks, Peter

Do you realize there was a post about an hour before yours with the same exact title ( might cause confussion).  Take a look at it as well as a very large number of threads concerning the cliffs. Type in Calvert Cliffs in the search and sit back for some good reading.

Just now, caldigger said:

Do you realize there was a post about an hour before yours with the same exact title ( might cause confussion).  Take a look at it as well as a very large number of threads concerning the cliffs. Type in Calvert Cliffs in the search and sit back for some good reading.

You're right.  I should have done that!

Here's the link to the latest one : 

Good luck!:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Matoaka is a great beach and an awesome place to spend the day but megs are few and far between.  When I hunted that area regularly I only ever found 5 or so from there vs. dozens from Brownies.  It's not that that area doesn't have them but the erosion is much less in that stretch.  Lots of smaller teeth to the trained eye and way fewer people so you'll have the beach to yourself but a lower chance of finding the "big one".  That said... I did find my biggest mako to date there (just shy of 3" and perfect) and my biggest croc (perfect and around 3" as well) so good stuff to be found to those that persist.

Hike well north, then (with tempered expectations) check every hard thing in the 'large rubble sort zone'. Coolness happens.

May the Force be with you. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 3 months later...
On 3/8/2018 at 9:28 AM, hokiehunter said:

Brownies

Sorry I am way late but does this mean Brownies beach or something else?

Thanks

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

10 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Sorry I am way late but does this mean Brownies beach or something else?

Thanks

Yes Brownies Beach, Bayfront Park all the same

Archived